1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Returning to UK AFTER teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jimgardner, Sep 6, 2018.

  1. Having returned back to England over the summer, we were very fortunate to have been told by a previous colleague of ours to ensure we get this form sorted before we left Spain. We are so grateful to her and her unfortunate experience that we did this. She had left Spain and returned to work in England however, she had this hurdle to climb as she was not informed or aware that she needed to get a police check done. I think organisations that employ teachers should have a duty of care to assist staff with information like this.
    Angelil likes this.
  2. Jsmithjeb

    Jsmithjeb New commenter

    My daughter was also never advised of this when she left China last year after teaching there for twelve months! She has now been offered teacher training in the UK but is finding it impossible to get the required ‘no criminal convictions certificate ‘ from China. She worked for a big teaching company out there and was not told once that she would need this before she came back to the UK. Apart from paying a possibly dodgy agent in China, does anyone have any idea how she can go about this? Her former employer is not being very helpful.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    This smelly old hippo found that the staff at the Chinese Embassy here in Sofia were very kind and helpful. (I have found the staff at most British Embassies to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot, although they are very quick and efficient when it comes to taking lots of money from you for doing almost nothing.) The staff at your nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate might be able to give some good advice. Also, Jsmithjeb, I would suggest that your daughter tries to contact someone she knows in China, preferably a friend who can speak some Mandarin, and ask the friend to pull some strings. I do not think that most teacher training colleges in the UK are very knowledgeable when it comes to Chinese official documentation, so maybe just a letter from the school where she was working would be sufficient. This document then has to be translated and authenticated by the Chinese Embassy. As long as the original document is in Mandarin and looks "official" and impressive, and as long as the Chinese Embassy give it one of their big red stamps, then the chances are that a teacher training college in the UK will accept it.

    On previous occasions in the ME, I found that a trip to the local Cop Shop was sufficient. A few riyals and a day or two later, I had quite an impressive-looking document in Arabic and it said that I had been a good little hippo during my time in the UAE or Qatar or wherever. Getting a document from the Police might be a tad difficult if you have already left the country.
  4. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Lead commenter

    'Getting a document from the Police might be a tad difficult if you have already left the country.'

    It certainly is! My career in education ended in 2006, so I never actually went through the safeguarding process. I am currently a churchwarden of an Anglican congregation here in Spain. It appears that wardens will soon be required by the CofE to obtain clearance from all their previous employments. The eejit at the diocesan office suggested that I obtain statements from heads of my first two overseas schools. As both have been dead for years this would seem to require either an astonishing demonstration of the power of prayer or some seriously deft work with the old ouija board.

Share This Page