1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to UK after teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Nervoustraveller, Dec 19, 2017.

1. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

I find myself standing out in the rain when the clouds have seeded over Abu Dhabi (yes, the Government pay for rain here). Glorious...for all of 30 seconds before I remember what happens to one's appearance in these unfavourable conditions when donning your Havianas.

An Ode to a Haggis, by any chance?

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Mine Host will be reciting 'Chieftain o' Puddings'. I may try a bit of McGonagle. When the rains arrived on a Sunday morning during my first term in Africa, the students returning from church sat on the wet grass below my office and waved their arms in the air. I thought this a bit odd at the time but now I live in Andalusia I get the point. Mind you, our current spate of rain showers has come at the wrong time for the olive harvest. Fortunately, these days, a much younger Spanish friend looks after our finca.

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Ahhh! - The Tay, the Tay, the silvery Tay

4. Mainwaring

On yonder hill there stands a coo.
    If it's no there it's awa' noo.

5. makhnovite

6. makhnovite

The Tay, the Tay, the silvery Tay,
    It runs from Perth to Dundee each day.....and back

7. Mainwaring

Really? I never knew it was Taydal.

8. mm71

mm71 New commenter

Returning is hard, very hard. At least it was for us.

We miss where we lived but not where we worked. However, having to deal with the expense of coming back and the safeguarding cop-out that most UK school fall back to is annoying; I had a couple of very interested schools who wanted me to fly back to the UK for interview but wouldn't pay the travelling expenses. Then there is the hit you have to take on: credit rating (you've been out of the country so have no recent activity), no-claims bonuses expire, deposits (if renting) and moving expenses in general.

As I said, it's hard but not impossible. As a previous poster said, try to be picky about your job when you return as panicking and taking any job is a hard lesson to learn (trust me, I know)

9. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

I applied, after just my first year teaching overseas, for customer service roles in the UK that were well below what I'd left when I first left the country. No success in any interview, for what one year earlier I would've dismissed immediately. Not sure why, but it was possibly my gushing over how much I had enjoyed the experience of living overseas. So I applied again to teach overseas and haven't looked back since. I really don't miss the UK, I get to see it at its best every summer - not at its most dismal right about now. After eleven years living overseas I doubt I'll return, the world is such a big place and I can catch up with family online or visit them in the summer.

Having said that, I've met and kept in touch with a hell of a lot of teachers over the years. Many have successfully repatriated and many are still happily living abroad. If you are able to set up successfully in a foreign country, surely it can't be too difficult to do so in your own.

10. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

Please can someone tell me something good about returning to the UK? I have to for family reasons and am feeling very sad about it...

11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Bacon butties

12. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Pubs with decent beer.

Selection of food available - Chinese, Indian, Jamaican, Thai all so easy to get.

Cheap books.

Those spring days when the daffs wave in the sunshine.

JL48, blueskydreaming and 576 like this.
  13. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

ahhh...English countryside. When the weather is good there is nothing to beat it.

576 likes this.
  14. mm71

mm71 New commenter

Got to disagree there! Before we went to the US, I loved real ales then after living there, I really got into their big, bold, hoppy "craft beers", particularly IPAs. I also loved the bar mentality and atmosphere in the US too.

Coming back for me means a never-ending search for decent beers as real ales now seem too nutty and flat :s

15. karel

karel Occasional commenter

The convenience of being able to buy everything that you want when you want it. The sales. The online shopping - Amazon. Being able to understand everyone around you and being able to make yourself understood. The friendliness. I'm from the North West, so friendliness is always something that strikes me whenever I go back there to visit.

tallpoppy71, 576 and blueskydreaming like this.
  16. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Taobao trumps Amazon...sorry

lauramadsen likes this.
  17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I quite enjoy not being able to understand what people around me are saying. There's less pressure to have to he involved lol

18. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

Yes, not understanding everything can be quite a bonus!

Plus points: the NHS (?!), fresh air, scones? I’m grasping at straws a bit but I do like the annual visit. I enjoy not being bitten by mosquitoes and little politenesses like door holding.

19. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, fresh air. Here in Shenzhen, the AQI was 290 last week.

20. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

HK was also rather soupy.