1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to TLR after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ladybug3, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am currently on maternity leave from my teaching position. I have a TLR responsibility (lowest TLR). I have just found out that this position (pastoral) will no longer exist in September due to a restructure and I am invited to apply for an alternative (also pastoral, slightly higher TLR) position (advertised internally only). I believe the position was temporary for a year when I was given it but I have held and been paid for the position for three years with no discussion on whether it would continue to be available each year.
    I suppose I just wanted to check if this all sounded a 'legal' way of doing things and if my school have every right to ask me to interview for the new position while I am on maternity leave. It doesn't just affect me but also two other colleagues who are working at the moment and the same process will apply to them.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Hi,
    I am currently on maternity leave from my teaching position. I have a TLR responsibility (lowest TLR). I have just found out that this position (pastoral) will no longer exist in September due to a restructure and I am invited to apply for an alternative (also pastoral, slightly higher TLR) position (advertised internally only). I believe the position was temporary for a year when I was given it but I have held and been paid for the position for three years with no discussion on whether it would continue to be available each year.
    I suppose I just wanted to check if this all sounded a 'legal' way of doing things and if my school have every right to ask me to interview for the new position while I am on maternity leave. It doesn't just affect me but also two other colleagues who are working at the moment and the same process will apply to them.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm not sure what you're querying here?
    Are schools allowed to restructure their staffing? Absolutely.
    Are schools entitled to restructure their staffing while one member of staff is on maternity? Yes, of course. Some schools have someone on maternity almost permanently. (Not the one person, I hasten to add!)
    Should the school have informed you about the changes? Of course!
    As for being invited to interview; that's a difficult one, but I'm not sure I see how else it could be done.
    Of course, should your position be removed then your pay would be safeguarded for a period.

4. Thanks! If it all sounds normal then I suppose there's no query! I've just never been in this position and I know my school has come under fire before for removing TLRs rather arbitrarily, so just wondered if there is a consultation period/ notice period that I should know about.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not that I'm aware of. But there arepay safeguarding arrangements, that it would be worth reading up on - see the STPCD. (paragraphs 24 and 5)