1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by L_Wiedeman, Jul 18, 2019.

1. L_Wiedeman

L_Wiedeman New commenter

Good morning,

Does anyone know anything about the process of returning to the UK following working abroad?

A supply agency has told me I will need to obtain an overseas criminality check which will involve a trip to the embassy in London, can anyone confirm if this is necessary? It says it can take up to 12 weeks!

Thanks in advance,
    Luke

leeanneb likes this.
  2. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

We returned from Thailand last year - we had to get our check done at the Police Headquarters in Bangkok and then they post the clear check to you, wither in Thailand (if you're still there) or the UK. Process was easy, quick and fast to be honest. I was asked to produce this when applying for DBS for my current job back in England so I am glad that I got it sorted in Bangkok. I do not know anything about the process at the embassy in London though - sorry

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I would say it's always going to be easier to get a police clearance certificate before leaving the country.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

I'm returning and I've got my police check here (USA). I have applied online for my Swiss one from when I lived there. Much easier to do it in the country if you are still there.

blueskydreaming and 576 like this.