1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the UK to teach

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sdawson0, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sdawson0

sdawson0 New commenter

Hi,

I did my secondary science PGCE some 11 years. After completing the course I left the UK and moved to Taiwan. I've been teaching English, maths and science in a local Taiwanese primary school for most of the last 11 years.

I'd like to return to the UK and continue teaching, but I'd like to teach at primary level rather than secondary which I'm qualified for. I was wondering if I'd need to retrain and also how difficult would it be to get a job without returning to the UK for interview.

I have a family now and my wife wouldn't be able to get a visa to stay in the UK unless I already have a job with a certain salary level so I wouldn't be able to first come back to the UK and then look for work.

Thanks!

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I would seriously consider looking for a private school, whether at primary or secondary level. If you read through these forums you will see that all is not well in the UK education system today...but the private sector is possibly somewhat less awful....

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Moving from secondary to primary

No, your QTS is valid for Primary, but is actually pretty useless if it;s a secondary one, of course.

Almost impossible. Statutory guidance says a face-to-face interview.

This will make things very difficult . . ..

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.