1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the UK after working in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by milliecroft, Aug 30, 2019.

1. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Just had another message from the Qatari school and they say that the MOE has just set the age limit to 50 this academic year and it is non-negotiable. So the age limit for Qatar now (this year on) is 50 for teachers.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, krakowiak6, does this mean that all teachers who are 50 or over must resign immediately, if they are currently teaching somewhere in Qatar? Or must they resign at the end of the academic year? Or does it mean that from now on all schools cannot employ new teachers who are over 50? What about a teacher who is over 50 and comes to the end of their teaching contract? Does this mean that their contract cannot be renewed? And does this apply to all schools in Qatar or only to "Qatari" schools? And how Qatari does a school have to be, in order to qualify as a "Qatari" school? (I was under the impression that some schools in Qatar were meant to be "foreign" or "international" or "British" or "American".) And does this new ruling apply just to teachers or does it also apply to heads and deputy heads as well?

When I was teaching in Qatar, the decision-making body was called the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council. Perhaps the SEC has changed its name to the MOE. Or maybe not.

I had the impression that Qatar was not such a popular place these days and this new decision is going to make it much more difficult for schools to attract the teachers they need. You can usually rely on the idiots at the SEC to **** things up, in their inimitable fashion.

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

A teacher who is 50 and over, and have been in the school prior to the implementation of the rule will get their RP renewed if the school want them. There are several teachers over 60 who are currently, both from black gold and other international schools, who are still enjoying their lucrative salaries after this rule was made.

As for new teachers 50 & over. It's going to be tough unless someone "special" has requested your expertise. Much like the 70+ year old OBE (in education) recipient who got seconded to fix a certain establishment. On the flip side, there are establishments who will not hire those in their mid-late 40s.

My advice, if you're already here... Take the opportunities the country gives you. With the right school, for which I am lucky to be in, it's professionally and financially very rewarding.

4. the hippo

So, taiyah, this new rule applies to all schools in Qatar, whether international or British or whatever? And you did not make it clear whether this applies to everyone in schools, including deputies and principals.

If it is going to be more difficult for schools in Qatar to recruit teaching staff, then perhaps the salaries on offer will improve a bit, in order to entice more teachers to go there. This could be good news, if you are under 50. On the whole, however, I think that the SEC have made yet another big mistake. Qatar is not as popular as it was and the packages on offer are not so good these days. Therefore a lot of principals in Qatar are going to have to work a lot harder in order to make sure that they are able to recruit all of the teachers they need for their schools.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Typical Qatar. Someone somewhere just wanted to come up with their own rule and never thought about the consequences. Much like the alignment of Arabic and international school holidays. A big fuss was made and then nothing happened because someone with a modicum of common sense pointed out that all of the international teachers would leave.

It was definitely 60 when I was in Qatar 5 years ago.

6. taiyah

@the hippo The interpretation of the age rule (focusing on the education sector) is everyone. But with none of the schools advertising for a principal for this academic year, noone knows how far this goes. ATM it's mainly affecting teachers because it's this part of the job that rolls over. Finally, yes it is all schools.

True the contracts aren't as good as for when I got here 6-7 years ago... But even in the worst of schools, what NQT earn £2000-2300 tax, bills and rent free back home? A teaching couple (4+ years experience can easily clear £5000/month tax, bills and rent free.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. krakowiak6

I have to disagree somewhat. £2000 is what ESL teachers earn or earned in the UAE and Qatar not that there's any ESL jobs there much nowadays.

An NQT gets around 23 or 24k and if they are buying a flat in the UK they are probably better off in the long run chipping away at the mortgage and having their pension and NI paid than earning 2k in the ME. If they have to rent in the UK then they're better off in the ME. Most young people stay at home with parents though so they don't pay any rent.

How much are Qatari local teachers getting?

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

FWIW In many parts of the UK you can't get a mortgage that will allow you to buy anything on a salary of 23-24K if you're single (unless you have a HUGE deposit) - or at least you couldn't when I was last living in the UK.

9. taiyah

@krakowiak6 I take your point but your contribution is limited to one particular set of teachers in a completely different part of the desert. There are of EAL or ESL jobs here, not sure where you got your information from... Our school employed 4 alone.

As for getting a loan for ANYBODY earning £23-24k and being approved for a loan in the UK for a property.. That flat is what, worth less than £90k? Simple math will tell you that earning tax free salary for 5-8 years can knock that loan off quick smart.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  10. krakowiak6

I don't know where people get these huge deposits from nowadays. They aren't all working in the Me.

From looking at Spare Room there seems to be aLOT of landlords renting out rooms all over the place. Buy2let has ruined affordable housing in the UK.

11. Mr_Frosty

I gave 3 NQTs a lift to work in my last UK job and 2 of them had mortgages, but only after getting a £20K+ deposit from their families. The third had no chance in the SE to get a mortgage big enough to buy their own place. Since I've lived here they've relocated 'up north' so that they could get on the property ladder - I think for people just starting their careers housing can be a big problem.

12. the hippo

If you have a big student loan, Mr_Frosty, then it might be an even bigger problem.

13. Mr_Frosty

Agreed. I assume they all did have some loans but I have no idea how - they weren't a thing when I was at uni.

14. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

If you teach a shortage subject you can return to the state sector no problem. But these days most of those jobs are not worth having.

Also depends where and for whom you have taught. I taught for school board in Vancouver and Education Queensland in Oz. They are very different employers from the many schools on the circuit that are in the gutter when it comes to more or less everything. I returned to the UK (Maths/Chemistry IB experience) and got a top drawer old school private (turned down jobs in UAE, Nigeria and Bahrain to take it). Our school would not touch anyone from the 'circuit'. Things may well have been different years ago but so many of these schools are now simply awful.

15. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Turned down Nigeria? They way i remember it @swsimp160 or @4019775, which ever accoint you use.... they dropped you before you before you even got there...and this is why you are so bitter about "the circuit".

Although your constant comments about this top notch school in the UK not wanting to touch anyone with international experience, but yet they did hire you.... oh wait, thats right, you dont actually have any, but yet you get get bent out of shape and launch into personal attacks when your completely incorrect posts get pointed out to you.

Keep up the good work....it always makes me smile

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. the hippo

Rules can often be bent or avoided in Qatar, especially if you have wasta.

17. Pat10

Pat10 New commenter

I returned to the UK after teaching in Qatar for a couple of years. I took a risk to fly back to the UK for interviews in the Spring Half Term, in the final year of my contract and it paid off. I think it very much depends on where you are planning to settle when you return, as there are Teacher shortages in certain parts of the UK. It will also help if you try and take on some responsibility or some form of CPD, while you are in Qatar.