1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kyoushidesu, Sep 20, 2020.

1. danrazzaq1

danrazzaq1 New commenter

I returned to England last year after 6 years away - I was M6 when I left in 2013. Whilst abroad, I went through threshold/UPS (was working at Nord A school), and when returning, my current school in London accepted my UPS and were able to match my salary from China.
    My school is a state Primary but it just happened that they were looking for more experienced staff members at the time, so were clearly able to justify the higher pay scale appointment through governors. I was one of 3 hired at the time whose threshold passing whilst abroad was honoured.

So I'd say yes, a TLR or threshold could still be worth it's weight - dependent on your school / the experience you gained abroad and what you achieved/how you sell yourself.

JL48 likes this.
  2. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

I'd second that, you had a pop at me once for that, your starting to sound like a Scot with a chip on your shoulder. I am Welsh, we are three and a half million, Scotland are five Million, England are fifty five Million so I think it's kind of natural to think what goes there is how it is in the UK because in the vast majority of circumstances and threads, conversations it will be.

3. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Teachers are really treated poorly here, I have been teaching over twenty years and am thinking of leaving the profession. I have been doing supply for a few years but my council did not furlough us, we are being replaced by cover supervisors in most of the schools and if you work for an agency you get exploited on a daily basis and no pension contributions add to that all the behaviour issues and the fact that as UPS 3 nobody wants to employ you in the UK it's a pretty bad situation I think.

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Dare you to go and say that to Nicola Sturgeon...… ;-)

In all seriousness, the reason we Scots get so annoyed about this is that although there are differences between England, NI and Wales, they are relatively small - but in Scotland the system is as different from England as, say, the US system. We have a completely different way of training and registering teachers - no physics teachers without a degree containing a significant amount of physics, or history teachers without a degree in history here - and a totally different curriculum and exam system. From an international perspective, the Scottish curriculum maps more closely to the IPC or the IB PYP/MYP because of its lack of prescribed content, and - from what I have seen - Scottish teachers tend to adapt to international curricula more easily as a result (I'm not saying the English don't, just that it takes a bigger change in practice and maybe a bit longer. Don't get me started on the Americans though...!)

5. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I have worked in a number of private schools in the UK who have been quite eager to employ those returning from abroad. They have valued the experience with international students (as many take international boarders) and the general adventurous spirit of the teacher. I've never known it to be a disadvantage in the private sector, but cannot speak for state.
    I have been abroad for a couple of years and returning home next summer due to an unexpected illness in my family. I am not too worried about finding a job, although I have saved enough to provide a buffer for a few months if it takes a while.
    Also now is the time for Skype and online interviews not being a disadvantage!!

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Quite right Bythesea123 but there are those Heads in the UK who see it as: 'You have been out of the loop for too long', their loss!!