1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kyoushidesu, Sep 20, 2020.

1. kyoushidesu

kyoushidesu New commenter

Having taught 4 years abroad and achieved a TLR, would this experience be recognised on my return to the UK or would I have to pick up where I previously left off?

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

depends on the school, your subject and a host of other factors.

They don't have to count it, but if you were at a good British school overseas, are a qualified Maths / Physics teacher, and are going into the independent sector, then possibly. If you were working in a non British bottom tier school, you're a PE teacher, and you get a job in your cash strapped local comp, then probably not.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

In a lot of cases, it's up to the school that wants to employ you. They might not even recognize your 4 years abroad never mind your TLR. Unless you are a shortage subject, the will want you for as cheap as they can get you

agathamorse likes this.
  4. kyoushidesu

kyoushidesu New commenter

Oh dear, thanks for the advice! I’m a primary school teacher so not a massive shortage but with 4 years abroad I was hoping I wouldn’t need to start back from where I began. Probably best to stay abroad..

5. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Just another excuse to mot give you a job back home as of course uk classroom is a 'proper' experience.

Unless you have personal reasons to return to the UK, dont understand why you'd contemplate it. More paperwork, worse behaviours, less respect, sunshibe and lower standard of living. Try another country.

ToK-tastic and agathamorse like this.
  6. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

It depends on how much the school want you. You could be an excellent teacher but like most things in the world today, it comes down to money. Unfortunately, many headteachers will opt for the cheaper (& perhaps more impressionable) option unless you take multiple responsibilities on. However, if it's a school that struggles to retain or employ teachers & they have lots of funds then you'll have more bargaining power.

7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Don't forget that academies, and most schools, don't have to recognise anything due to end of pay portability. Working in a different school doesn't have to be recognised, let alone working abroad.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

Not true in all parts of the UK. Years of service is always taken into account in Scotland by both the councils and the private sector. Yet another poster who does not know the difference between the UK and England.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh dear. We have had some pretty negative comments so far on the subject of returning to the UK and I wish that I could say that they are all exaggerated and the exception, rather than the rule.

On a slightly more positive and pragmatic note, kyoushidesu, of course you must go back to teaching in the UK, if you have some serious family commitments. I have respected my colleagues who have put their responsibilities to ailing and elderly parents before their own wishes.

If, on the other hand, you really do have the option to stay overseas, then my advice is quite simple: go for it! There are lots of international schools all over the world and they will respect and value your experience. Unlike most teachers in the UK, international teachers have the opportunity to build up some serious savings, as well as having a more relaxed and enjoyable lifestyle.

10. BeckyK8

BeckyK8 New commenter

I have just returned back to the UK after 5 years abroad and I was able to get a job at an independent school. They have taken into account most of my years abroad and given a TLR. Although I applied for and had interviews at some state schools, I never got to the point of discussing pay with them so can't speak for what they would have offered. I definitely got the impression that cheaper NQTs were much more desirable for many schools though. The whole process of getting a job back in the UK was long, difficult and stressful, but I am now happy in my new job and hope that it works out for anyone else who needs to return to the UK too.

11. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'd have thought that as my comment was about academies that it was clear I was talking about schools in England, as the academisation craze didn't occur in Scotland. I agree that I could have made my comment clearer when mentioning most schools however.

It's also not true that years in service is always recognised in the private sector in Scotland. I know. Mine wasn't.

This forum would be a better place if you contributed your ideas and knowledge without the constant rudeness.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

how about Wales and NI?

13. Rory88

Rory88 New commenter

Mulling over the idea of going back at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on the interview process? I can't imagine Uk schools being happy with just a Skype interview.

14. the hippo

Most schools in the UK will not accept SKYPE interviews. The differences between the UK, England, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Wight are not quite so important if you stay overseas.

15. BeckyK8

BeckyK8 New commenter

UK schools had to start Skype/Zoom interviews for all candidates this year due to the pandemic, which made it much easier to apply from abroad than normal. Not sure how long it will be before they return to requiring in-person interviews, but hopefully experiences this year might make them more open to online interviews in the future.

16. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Not so true now, I can assure you.
    I had a Skype interview for a uk position 3 years ago, and the current restrictions make remote interviews much more likely.

17. the hippo

Perhaps you are right, gafleecey. Maybe I am a bit out of date.

18. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

You and me both, venerable pachyderm.
    I believe we are of an age.
    When I started teaching, technology was a banda machine and a telly on a stand with wheels.

19. spannerintheworks

spannerintheworks New commenter

I lost my job in the Middle East due to covid and a 40% drop in student enrolment. I'm still looking for a job abroad and batting off agencies trying to push English teaching jobs on me. Luckily, I have money in the bank and so can afford to wait, but I would have to be really desperate to teach in the UK again.

20. the hippo

There is a school in Bulgaria....

TeacherMan19 likes this.