1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the Classroom

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by PatchTheCatch, May 23, 2020.

1. PatchTheCatch

PatchTheCatch New commenter

So I am a qualified primary teacher who has completed their NQT year and then left formal education for a while to look at informal education. Now I am looking to return back to the classroom I'm coming across a few things I figured I might need to sort out and wondered if anyone had any advice.

I have applied to the GTCS and had registration confirmed pending my referee and background check (both of which should be fine) as I want to move from London up to Scotland to teach. When looking at vacancies, whether for supply pool or a specific school, it often requires a note from your current headteacher. As it has been a while since I left my last school the head has since changed and will not be familiar with me. Does anybody have any idea what would be the best way to approach this? I have emailed a school to ask but have yet to hear back.

Secondly, given the current climate and all the chaos that is going on I was thinking I might end up doing supply just because it's more feasible and I would probably stay in London for a while in to the new year as supply would give me flexibility to move up north a little easier. If you are doing supply work, similarly to the first point, would you just ask the headteacher at your most recent post to provide a reference? Is this normal behaviour etc or would it be seen as a bit weird due to the lack of time spent working together?

Cheers for any help anyone can offer!

2. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I'm a retired secondary PTC. We often had supply teachers asking for references. Usually, the headteacher was asked for the reference but he always finished up asking the appropriate PTC to write it. Head might then add a sentence before he signed it.

Other schools may work differently, of course, but I imagine that you'd be be able to get a reference from a school where you have done supply - better if it's somewhere where you've done more than just a few days, of course.

As a middle manager, I saw writing references as part of my job.