1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to the classroom as a TA after 5 months away

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by suertesamp, Nov 17, 2018.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

After a horrible experience as a cover supervisor in an inadequate secondary school, I applied for a job as a TA. This is in a good secondary, and I am feeling quite positive about this. I actually left because the cover job gave me too much stress and had a detrimental effect on my mental health (see my previous posts for context). In between quitting my last job and getting the offer for this, I had been working as an admin assistant in an office for very long hours and low pay.
    I feel quite proud of myself. This was the only job I applied for while employed in m the office job. What makes this better is I actually lost my job a day after getting the offer and have just completed my last day! I think I timed this right and this was too good of an opportunity to miss. My mental health is significantly better since I got some help (I went private). In addition to this, I fully intend to be consistent with the behaviour policy and get myself engaged while delivering effective learning support.
    What advise would anyone give after spending some time away from the classroom?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations - what a long way you've come! I really don't think you'll have any problems; a TA role is very different to that of a cover supervisor. Do you already have a copy of the behaviour policy - there might be one on the school website. If not, make sure that's one of the first things you find out about and, as you said, be consistent with it. Smile and be firm but fair. Don't get stressed - there will be a great deal to learn in the first few weeks, and no-one will expect you to remember it all at once. Carry a small notebook so that you can make notes. Get to know other TAs, they can be your greatest allies. And if you have a question - ask. We all remember what it was like to be new and most school staff and very welcoming and want to help. Enjoy your new adventure!

3. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have read through the policy several times before going to the interview and after. Consistency is the main thing I am aiming for here :)