1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Thespirit82, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Thespirit82

Thespirit82 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has successfully returned to teaching or has any advice.

I taught for 5 years at the same school after my PGCE, successfully and well! I have a great reference from that school. I then relocated and took a job out of teaching after a bit of a disaster, so I left my great school 2 years ago now.

I don't teach a core or shortage subject and I can't seem to get anywhere, I've signed up with an agency to try and get on long term supply as a route back in, even though I sort of think I'm crazy leaving a permanent job to do that. I feel like I must be up against so many applicants who are teaching now, compared to my slightly out of date experience.

I'm feeling very down, I feel like I've lost my career, I'm a failure and I cry every day, I miss teaching so much.

Does anyone have any advice, or do I just keep plugging?

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm primary but noticed you've had no replies so hopefully can at least bump the thread!
    I think supply is probably the best option as it stands. It's the one that worked for me when I resigned without a job to go to.
    I'm guessing there's very little work in secondary as most pupils are absent now. Maybe see how it goes when they all return. Good luck!

3. lentils22

lentils22 New commenter

It's definitely a difficult climate to be job-hunting at the moment.. But just to reassure you, I'm secondary and I had a break of almost 14 years (which makes your "out-of-date experience" seem positively up-to-the-minute by comparison!). I volunteered in a school for a while to refresh my skills and find out what I'd missed, and then a vacancy came up there which I applied for and was offered the job. So I would urge you not to feel too disheartened, and as @becky70 says, be patient under the current circumstances. As you put it yourself "keep plugging"! All the very best and keep us posted..

4. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

I'm primary as well but I think the market in general is difficult right now in both primary and secondary. Hang in there! I hope you can find some supply to bolster you in the meantime, I'm sure this isn't forever. I know several people who returned to teaching after a gap and they all managed to get a job even if it took a while.

5. Thespirit82

Thank you both, that's very reassuring! I'll keep plugging and won't despair

lentils22 likes this.
  6. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

I hope you manage to get a job soon. I think a lot depends on the area in which you live/ can work. Supply work seems to be non-existent if you need a proper, regular income outside major cities. However, on the positive side, September is a big time when schools need staff, so I think you will see more jobs advertised. You mention "after a bit of a disaster' so maybe from the sound of your post, what you could do is take up some online education related CPD to boost your confidence and skills, to show that you are up to date? I do not think that 2 years away from schools is very long, and with a successful 5 year experience record of teaching, you ought to be of value to a school.

7. Thespirit82

I wonder if this thread sent positive vibes my way?

I received an email yesterday (!!) Inviting me for an interview today (!!!!) , It was very odd and face to face but distanced. I felt like I was sat in the middle of the room marooned and abandoned.

Anyway! I got the job! I'm thrilled, and shocked. I'm off to the slightly different but very exciting land of SEMH teaching.

Thanks to those who commented

sparkleshine, TheoGriff and becky70 like this.
  8. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

9. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

Awesome news! It does lift my spirits so to see another one of us has got a job. Kudos and I wish you lots of luck in your new role.