1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kplpandd, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Kplpandd

Kplpandd New commenter

Hi all, after 11 years out to raise 4 children I have decided to return to teaching.

When I left we were using the national literacy strategy and national numeracy strategy to plan the daily literacy hour and numeracy hour. Where can I find out about changes and how english and maths are planned for now? Any help gratefully received.

I will be doing lots of voluntary work before returning.

Thank you

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

English and maths are planned in whatever way your school says...could be no written planning at all, could be several pages per lesson! The NC tells you what to teach in each year group and has changed since you left.

I wouldn't worry too much about the voluntary work...it is only the paperwork that is different. Children are still the same and the curriculum not vastly different.
    Maybe try supply teaching as a way back in? Then you'll see the huge variety of approaches to planning in what is left for you, without the pressure to feel you have to 'get it right'.

Kplpandd likes this.
  3. Kplpandd

Kplpandd New commenter

Thank you so much. I have contacted supply agencies but because I haven't worked with children for so long I need to do some voluntary work for dbs clearance (apparently).

That's interesting how much planning has changed!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

Sounds weird to me.... but lots in education is!

Maybe ask about this on the supply board where others will be able to tell you more.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

no you don't! what gives you that idea?

6. Kplpandd

Kplpandd New commenter

Two supply agencies I've been in touch with have said I need an up to date reference for dbs clearance. They asked me to do 20 hours voluntary working order to get a reference. But like you I thought this was a bit absurd!

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm wondering whether it is Safer Recruitment rather than DBS per se? Agencies often want references for gaps. Mine did and others on the supply board have had similar requests. Most voluntary work these days seems to want a DBS anyway...

8. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

9. Kplpandd

Kplpandd New commenter

Yes i just had an email back stating that it is for compliance. I'm just going to do the 20 days voluntary work I think.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

Safer recruitment and compliance makes sense...they certainly need a recent reference.
    See if you can do some voluntary work in your child's school? You will need a DBS for this, but possibly not a reference. Most primaries would love an extra pair of hands in EYFS/KS1 and it will give you the knowledge you need as well.

If you are an hour or so west of London, pm me and you can perhaps come and volunteer in my school...it's a fab one!

Kplpandd likes this.
  11. Kplpandd

Kplpandd New commenter

Sorry I've only just seen this but wow what a lovely offer I live in the west midlands otherwise I'd be right there!

12. caterpillartobutterfly