1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Katherella, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Katherella

Katherella New commenter

Hello, I am returning to teaching after a 2 1/2 year break. My plan is to do supply work and then apply for a permanent post. Terrified about so many aspects of this - will I get enough work, will I be any good?..Any help or advice gratefully received. P.S. I taught for 13 years before I left in 2016.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It is difficult after a period away, as one tends to lose a little confidence. That will soon return once you're back in the workplace again. Just like when one's had the long summer holiday and after half a day it's as if one has never been away.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Lara is right...once you are back, it will be as though you have never been away.

Read the new to supply thread pinned at the top of this forum. It might help you to prepare and you will feel more confident.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Katherella

Katherella New commenter

Thank you Lara and pepper5, your thoughts are much appreciated and I will follow the pinned thread as you suggested,

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

First thing to ask is why did you leave and why do you want to come back?