1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by chirpyandcheerful, Oct 23, 2017.

1. chirpyandcheerful

chirpyandcheerful New commenter

Hi,

I left teaching in December 2016 after 20 years full time in a variety of roles (e.g one time Faculty Leader, HoD, Lead Teacher coaching others and whole school Literacy Co-Ordinator). I needed a break- some breathing space. After ten years in my last place of employment, I did leave with excellent references and was on good terms with the school and my colleagues.

For the past 6 mths I have been working happily for the Camping and Caravanning Club as a warden. However, I’ve decided that I would like to do some supply work in the winter months ( just 2-3mths) each year on a supply basis.

Would returning to the profession to do a few days of supply for a few mths each year (possibly not working in the same region each time) be a problem (i.e. Will my hiatus be frowned upon by a HT etc? How long are references valid for etc. Is it just 1 year?)?

Does anyone have any advice/firsthand experience please?

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you :)

2. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

No. A few months out to pursue other interests and seek a new work-life balance. Highly commendable. Besides which, supply agencies really don't care and HTs never get to see your references. You're good to go.

3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

Head will snap you up!!
    Good luck

4. chirpyandcheerful

chirpyandcheerful New commenter

Thank you for reassuring replies!

Tinycat1234 likes this.