1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Oliviaa91, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Hi all

After a long(ish) gap of nearly 2 years from teaching primary from graduating i am now considering going back to teaching after having a baby and completing my NQT year.

Could anyone help me in terms of getting back to speed with things and what i need to know?
    Refreshing me on the new standards and what has changed and assessments etc?

Any advice would be really helpful!

Thank you in advance! Super nervous..

Olivia :)

xx

2. amylou88

amylou88 New commenter

Hello,

I am in a similar situation to you in that I've been away from primary teaching for a couple of years. I came onto the Primary Community board to write a post just like this! I've been trying to research various things that will help me back into the job more comfortably.

Hopefully some kind folks on here could point us in the right direction!

Good luck with your job search!

Amy :)

Oliviaa91 likes this.
  3. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

I hope so too!

You too! :)
    xx

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Why don't you consider volunteering in a Primary school. That way you will get a feel for what is happening in schools today.

5. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm also looking for a teaching job for September after two years out. Whereabouts are you both? I'm in Lancashire, there are lots of head and deputy jobs at the moment so I'm hoping the class teacher jobs will follow.

6. amylou88

amylou88 New commenter

Hey,

I'm in Shropshire. Lots of jobs popping up at the moment. One that I would really love to get too. My main concerns with applying at the moment are the new curriculum and the new assessment (no levels) as I've been working elsewhere whilst these changes have come into being.

I can't seem to find many clear explanations as to what is actually going on!

7. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

School websites are supposed to be a fountain of information now. Should include the school's curriculum and many have how they assess.
    Could be a good start.
    Also just go to National Curriculum and appendices...especially for English.
    I think everyone is waiting to see the outcomes of this year's statutory assessments.
    Teacher assessment(interim framework) in Y2 and Y6 is only for this year so what will happen next year is anyone's guess.
    STA gov site is always interesting if you want clarification...ha

amylou88 likes this.