1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jobegg, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jobegg

jobegg New commenter

Hello,

I left teaching in 2008 - I did my PGCE in 2005/6 and taught 2006-2008 in a Primary school in South East London.

I am now very keen to return to the profession, albeit potentially in France. However, I am rather nervous about the fact that I have been out so long, and wondered whether there were any top tips or advice for a returnee.

In the first instance I have made contact with schools to visit them, but beyond that I'm just letting my fears and nerves get in the way of taking any solid steps.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Jo

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In France?

Sounds lovely, but I'm afraid I know nothing about how you can get your UK qualifications validated for employment in schools in France . . .

Another point is that it is one of the countries where appointment to schools is not done in each school but regionally, I believe. So you don't get to apply to a specific school.

I do think that further investigation of the whole teacher-employment situation in France is quite important.

Good luck

3. jobegg

jobegg New commenter

Hi Theo, Thanks so much for this response (and the other one telling me where to look for this!)

In France yes, but in British schools, so following the British system. You're right about teachers being appointed to regions over here, so that along with other reasons means I won't be applying to French schools.

I will do further research, as you suggest.

Many thanks,

Jo

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Right, well to be honest, @jobegg, you have more chance getting a job in Spain than in France, as there are so very few British schools where you are . . .

By the way, have you found your conversations . . . including the one from me? :)

How to check your Conversations aka PMs