1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returning to teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kldopa, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hi All, any advice appreciated please.I spent 16 years as a primary school teacher/leader, but left 3 years ago as the school I was in would not agree to me working part-time after I had a child, I was unable to secure a part-time teaching job anywhere else. I have since spent the last 3 years working part time for a charity 18mths of this as an Education Manager, the rest as the director of the charity (my current post). During this time I have kept abreast of curriculum changes as i write the education and forest schools curriculum packages for the charity.

Whilst I love my new role at the charity, I very much miss teaching and am keen to return at some point. I would like some advice on:

Do I need to do any training to go back to teaching?

How long can I be out before it is too long?

Am I best to do supply first?

I was upper 3 on the payscale, does this stay the same? I realise this may put schools off employing me, can I say I'll take a paycut?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

1) No, and there isn't any, so that's lucky!

2) It depends on how keen schools are to appoint. In the S.E. where there are shortages, they will mind less than in NE or SW where tthey can choose from a long list of teacher applicants

3) Yes, that will get back into the swing of things, AND provide you with an up-to-date reference from a Head

4) There is no longer any pay portability . . .

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.