1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Returning" to teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vincentarlo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Looking for any advice, particuarly any "real life" examples. I completed a PGCE (primary) in 2002 and passed the relevant tests to get QTS. I then did not complete the induction year because I pursued a completely different career; I did the PGCE at the wrong time in my life, in a nutshell. I have recently obtained a CELTA and am teaching children and adults full-time outside the UK. Is it possible for me to pick up my career as a primary school teacher in the UK? The TDA say on paper I am qualified to teach in a school but there's no way I can get a job in my current situation, is there?

2. Looking for any advice, particuarly any "real life" examples. I completed a PGCE (primary) in 2002 and passed the relevant tests to get QTS. I then did not complete the induction year because I pursued a completely different career; I did the PGCE at the wrong time in my life, in a nutshell. I have recently obtained a CELTA and am teaching children and adults full-time outside the UK. Is it possible for me to pick up my career as a primary school teacher in the UK? The TDA say on paper I am qualified to teach in a school but there's no way I can get a job in my current situation, is there?

3. Thanks for that reply. Sounds like some good, real life advice to me. Appreciate it!

4. Hi In order to improve your chances of successfully applying for a teaching position in a UK school you will need to be able to provide evidence of recent relevant experience.
    Your current work teaching children and adults abroad will certainly help your application; however headteachers will be looking for applicants to have recent experience of UK classes. You should see if you can gain experience observing classes in one or more UK schools by contacting them directly. The following website contains full contact details for UK schools:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    I would also highly recommend registering with the Returning to Teaching programme via the TDA website, and contacting them for further information. This service provides suggestions and advice for people such as yourself that have either been away from the teaching profession for a while, or completed their initial teacher training (ITT) without completing the induction.
    www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/returning-to-teaching.aspx
    I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you the very best in securing a teaching position in the near future.

Stephen Hillier, TDA