1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by owlali, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Hi, just wondering if anyone else is stuck between a rock and a hard place, I qualified in 2004 never started my induction, did a tiny bit of supply therefore the 16month rule is in effect and agencies won't have me and i cant do day to day supply only blocks of term or half term till induction is complete. Returner courses are way out of my price league, i have done a year as voluntary TA in a local school applied for a ridiculous amount of jobs. just wondering if anyone knows of any ideas i may have overlooked... all thoughts welcome as i plod ever onwards

2. Contact the local authority in which you want to work and see if they would provide you with an extension to do day to day supply. You can register with agencies for work that attracts induction (that is one term minimum length either full or part time).
    The LA may refuse, but it is worth a try.
    James

3. Hi thanks for that, think I explored extensions last year and I was told they were only available up to one year after the 16months were up, I am going to contact the LA again though and explore this avenue
    thanks

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Consider moving to an area where it is difficult to recruit teachers. It doesn't have to be for long but it's much easier to get a job when you have one. Maybe ask on the Unemployed board?

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The extension begins on the first supply date of teaching and runs calander in in the same way the 16 month rule works so if you have not yet been granted an extension it would begin from now.
    I don't think there are areas where there are shortfalls of teachers any more unless in shortage secondary subjects in "expensive to live" parts of the country. In addition the recent expansion of places means more teachers coming out each year.

6. Hi,
    I've been in the same situation. I qualified 8 years ago and didn't do induction. Decided last year to go back. Was a load of hassle though. Did return to teaching course recommended by TDA which only cost price of a new CRB. If you pass, you get a bursary awarded at the end too, £1500. This helped offset the fact I left a well paid job to do it!

Getting in with an agency was difficult, because, like you, I'd done a little supply on qualifying. I had to apply to each individual LA, as some cross over where I am. If they are saying no, it's probably because they've got their facts wrong. The 16 month rule for supple is correct, they can grant you an extension of up to a year maximum. My biggest problem with LA was finding the right person to ask. They won't be used to that many people in your situation.

Finally got in with 3 agencies, 2 useless, 1 brilliant. Got some daily supply and 1-2-1 work. From this, school asked me to do a term maternity cover, so I've been able to do first term NQT.

Could be back to square one come January, but at least one term will be done so hopefully I'll be more appealing to other schools now. It was definitely a case of can't employ without experience, can't get experience cos out classroom too long! I grumbled to TDA, GTC, agencies... Basically anyone who would listen!

So I guess after all my waffling, my tip is to persevere!

Good luck :)

7. i am not alone phew, i too signed up for a returner course when they were still that cheap, but it was cancelled two weeks before apparently because of numbers i had my suspicions! i too have bombarded any one who would listen finally got a reply from department for education apparently it is all under review and we should feel the use in 2013!oh the fun... this extension bit is intriguing, i hate turning work down its very annoying....schools want me and iv been told i cant o it coul u explain more fully how i go about getting this extension? i was tol point blank by the gtc and la that it was not possible i was rather miffed by it all... got a ta interview in november but would be nice to have a supplementry income and experience i too.. i have also done one to one still chasing the pay for that it was a farce! i shall persevere as i am stubborn if nothing else i have been riled by the insanity of it all Thanks :)

8. I suggest you ask to speak to the person who oversees NQTs for the area. That's who I had to speak to. It would be a lot easier if the GTC gave out the extension so you didn have to go to each individual LA.

They can't tell you you can't do it, it's in the guidelines that you can start your NQT whenever you want. It's just this silly supply rule. Keep trying, but maybe consider moving to an area that will allow an extension, if only to get your I suction year completed :)