1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching: solving my reference problem

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by reginarita, May 1, 2020.

1. reginarita

reginarita New commenter

Hi folks,

I have a 7-year-old open reference from my last post. However, I can't source any further teaching references. Moreover, I have had no employment for the last 7 years, so I have no other work references.

Will my open reference, which is very strong, be enough or can I expect not to get a job because I only have the one reference?

TIA (if you reply)

2. lentils22

lentils22 New commenter

Hi, not sure of you're primary or secondary, but here's how I got back into teaching as a secondary MFL teacher. In my case I had had nearly 14 years out of the classroom and, although I'd done tutoring and voluntary roles, like you I didn't really have any way of getting an up-to-date reference. So I took two steps prior to applying for jobs; I took on a very small role, on an HLTA salary, teaching MFL at my children's primary school (which became one of my references), and I persuaded a local secondary school to allow me to volunteer there as a way to gain more up-to-date experience (just TA-ing in the classroom and taking small groups etc). This was harder than it sounds; I had a lot of refusals before I found a school that would take me (because they have to sort out DBS etc..) However, I ended up applying for a part-time role at that school, got the job and am now in my fourth year there.
    In your case, obviously the gap is half the length, and if you teach a shortage subject that can also have an impact, so you may find that your open reference will be sufficient..
    All the very best however it pans out, and don't hesitate to DM me if you want to ask about anything more specifically..!

Billie2000, MarieAnn18 and reginarita like this.
  3. reginarita

reginarita New commenter

Many thanks, Lentils22.
    I really appreciate your reply.
    I was a secondary MFL teacher too.

lentils22 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Really good advice from @lentils22 !

You will need a more recent reference, and, just to make things worse, your open reference, the testimonial To whom it may concern would not be counted as a reference anyway, I'm afraid.

So trying to get an edgeways entry into a school is the way forward.

Keep safe everyone

agathamorse and lentils22 like this.
  5. reginarita

reginarita New commenter

@TheoGriff
    Thanks for educating me, TG.
    Best regards.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ouch!

Well, it was trying to help you, actually... I’ll just get my coat, then and never darken your door again. :)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. reginarita

reginarita New commenter

@TheoGriff
    That was a genuine thank you!
    I appreciate it.
    Between you and Lentils22, I stand educated.
    Warmest wishes.

agathamorse and lentils22 like this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

in which case I apologise for feeling chastised !

Keep safe

agathamorse likes this.