1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching- Secondary to primary?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by aimee210185, Feb 21, 2017.

1. aimee210185

aimee210185 New commenter

So will try to keep this as short as possible!

Trained 06/07 as a secondary music teacher as the *logical* 22 year old me thought it would be easier getting a secondary job over primary.

Taught for a year and gained my QTS but fell pregnant with my first during this year. After an awful experience at the school I worked in and I decided to concentrate on raising my child and got jobs to work around this, but always in some sort of childcare and mainly early years.

I have worked as a crèche manager implementing the EYFS, a SEN LSA in reception (with teaching elements) and most recently in a children's centre supporting families with behaviour, school readiness, phonics, etc as well as teaching adults about the EYFS.

For about the millionth time I am contemplating returning to teaching but want to focus on Early Years as this is my field now, not music.

I have done an EYPS and a lot of CPD during my 8.5 years out and fully up to date with EYFS.

Realistically, even if I were willing to offer myself at NQT pay, what's the reality of going into an Early Years post? Also is it worth doing the TES CPD on return to teaching?

I feel frustrated that retraining, etc isn't as openly available as it used to be and there's no use doing a primary PGCE as teachnically I'm already qualified and wouldn't qualify for any funding!

Any information or support would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

2. badviolinist

badviolinist New commenter

As a secondary teacher I'm probably not the best to give advice here but I'd say that you have a very good chance of being offered a job as long as you can prove to them in the interview and lesson that you know what you're doing. Music is a great subject for primary schools too so there would be real opportunities in terms of a whole school role. I think it would depend on the area and the school but ultimately it would come down to you proving yourself on the day. I'd go for it!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have no idea about further training but what are you waiting for?

I'd give you an interview in a heartbeat!

Music and recent experience with actual LITTLE kids? Walk this way. Let's talk.

I started as First School mainstream and ended up KS5 SEN. Never did a day's training in my life! I retired 2013 but it can't have changed that much.

You have breadth of experience and Primary is all about breadth and turning your hand to different things and pitching in. You lack nothing. Except confidence and the realisation that you're a real catch. Start applying.

You sound like a dream candidate to me. They won't offer you massive pay but I'd favour you over a newcomer any day of the week. As long as you get over this reticence! C'mon. Talk the talk and walk the walk. You can do it.