1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Teaching (Primary)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by hulahoop79, May 31, 2020.

1. hulahoop79

hulahoop79 New commenter

So I missed the dropping levels and new NC as I was dropping babies.
    In a nutshell can anyone explain what the changes in practice is? Did it marry up the EYFS and KS1 Curriculums?

Also does anyone have experience here? I left 2015 with a brief I had a half term position in Dec. 2016. Is supply the best way to go? All wisdom is appreciated.

I am interested in getting into SEND schools. One of the aforementioned babies is ASC and I have a lot of training in this now. So I have to be PT for him.

I know the downsides - I taught for 10years but I miss the good stuff too. Obviously I am aware of the strange circumstances at the moment too.

Thanks folks.

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Hello. I work in a special school and I am writing a dissertation for my MA on people who want to work in SEND. Special education unfortunately just isn’t very popular, recruitment and retention in this sector is even worse than the general teaching crisis. For this reasons there are quite a lot of vacancies (not loads because there are obviously fewer schools) and in my experience you don’t need anything special qualification wise to get in just a will to work with SEND children and a bit of empathy. I didn’t have anything special before I applied, neither did the two teachers they have recruited since me. So if you want a job in a special school I would say to just a apply for one!

3. hulahoop79

hulahoop79 New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I feel very positive and you have spurred on to write this application form!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There are some changes to curriculum content. As an example off the top of my head, KS1 science is now just animals, plants and materials; no light, sound, electricity or forces.

Levels (1C, 1B, 1A) disappeared and schools were left to their own devices to come up with a system that worked for them. Many schools have gone for something similar to EYFS (emerging, expected, exceeding), in varying degrees of complicatedness (eg. some schools have different levels within each section, like 'working towards emerging' or 'secure expected').

Some people say EYFS and Year 1 fit together better. Personally I find there's a lot of overlap, particularly in maths, which is good for those children who need more time to get a secure grasp of the basics, but not so good for those who were already secure at the end of Reception.

5. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

As mentioned earlier there are often vacancies in special schools and they will be more interested in your autism skills than your national curriculum knowledge. If you want to enhance your qualifications a lot of masters courses / modules have a SEND emphasis.