1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching (limited experience)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by danjames86, Jan 25, 2016.

1. danjames86

danjames86 New commenter

Hi @TheoGriff. I started teacher training in 2010, completed my PGCE (Maths) and NQT year but had to leave just a term after I received QTS due to medical problems. I have been working in other fields since 2012 while I recovered and now I wish to return to teaching but feel like having such a short teaching experience on top of an even larger gap out of the field would make me appear to be an unsuitable candidate. I've been looking into Further Education courses in my subject, I've registered with the DfE Return to Teaching scheme and I've tried to get in contact with old colleagues and unions but I've not heard anything so I'm a bit unsure of where to go next or what steps I can take to present myself better. Can you help?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Are you just looking for help in finding a suitable job vacancy and how to apply?

I can certainly help there if that's what you need.

You've already done the sensible thing, by the way, in registering for Return to Teaching. What advice have they given - I'm curious here!

Best wishes

3. danjames86

danjames86 New commenter

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to hear back from Return to Teaching. I'm half tempted to re-register just in case.

Finding suitable vacancies isn't too much of a problem. My target would be to resume teaching after the Christmas break and I would be moving back to England from Scotland so I'm open about where to put down roots. (Did think about teaching in Scotland but my degree is not in my teaching subject so I can't register.)

My main concern is my lack of experience prior to leaving and what I can do in my application to try and improve my chances.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Frustrating! Is there no way to phone anyone?

Unless you first do supply work to refresh your experience and skills, there is not any way of hiding the lack of experience . . . here is the general applications advice. I have not given the finding a job links as you say tht is not a problem.

Applications advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

5. danjames86

danjames86 New commenter

Wow! Thanks for all the links. You're a star!

Funnily enough I did get a phone call this morning about the Return to Teaching scheme. They said there were places currently in schools for STEM subject teachers to retrain and hopefully continue as full-time teachers. I'm not sure of the specifics but I've arranged another phone call this evening and I would be happy to share what I can learn from them.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent news!

Things are looking up for you. Thanks for the offer to share. We look forward to that.

Best wishes