1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching / leadership

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by enthusiast, Feb 12, 2016.

1. enthusiast

enthusiast New commenter

Hi all! I'm thinking of going back to teaching and wondering what sort of roles I should be applying for...

I was a primary teacher for seven years (good/outstanding, maths coordinator) and four years ago I left to work in education technology where I have been working in a large-ish company and have risen to a leadership position. I lead a cross-company strategic 'workstream' related to learning and manage a team of 9 people. I'm also chair of governors at a local school, so very much still in the loop with regards to changes to curriculum, assessment etc.

I would really like to apply for a school leadership position as primary schools are where my passion lies. Do you think my non-school experience would be taken into account? My salary now is equivalent to Deputy Head but do you think it's realistic to go for a Deputy Head role? I'd be very happy to be a classroom teacher again but obviously would prefer not to drop my salary due to mortgage etc. :)

Any help would be really appreciated :)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's nothing to stop you applying - but he first hurdle at which you're likely to fall will be the "essential" requirement to have "recent", successful experience of classroom teaching (and they expect data to support it these days, contained within your application - many forms even have a section demanding its inclusion). Then there's the "essential" requirement for recent, successful middle leadership (i.e. Key stage leader of large primary) or AHT.

Your non-school experience is interesting - but even four years out of schools is a long, long time to get out of the loop in most headteachers' eyes.

Theo would advise getting application packs, seeing if you meet the essential criteria and trying to construct an Executive Summary.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, she would!

And would also suggest that you came down to Jobseekers and looked at all the advice in the Professional Advice Hub

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.