1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching/changing subject/retraining?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Messaline, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Messaline

Messaline New commenter

Hi there,
    Hoping for some advice please... I had a break from teaching from 2010-2018 due to living abroad, having a child, doing a second BSc degree. Both my degrees I graduated with 1st class honours but I cannot find a job. It is terrifying. Teaching agencies seem so excited when they see my CV. I’ve had good interviews, was once offered a Primary job after they saw me teaching and had an interview only for it to be retracted next day in favour of an ‘in house’ person. I gained a Fast Track PGCE in Music and already have QTS, have taught at primary and secondary levels in state and private sector (London) and taught as interim HoD on contract in London 2018. ThIs school did offer me more work after I’d graduated in 2019 but I’ve a young child in infant school and I simply couldn’t manage the commute.
    All my schools (except for one boss) really seemed to like me, I’ve always been offered promotions and really enjoyed the challenge of making learning creative within the curriculum and the rapport I had with team colleagues and amazing kids as they discover how well they could do and always been happy to do cover, help out the school. I trained teachers in partnership with IoE, have done bits of research so don’t find the the updating of Ofsted or curriculum requirements, various assessments the least bit daunting etc
    So, I am wondering, could I retrain in Science? Perhaps at Primary level? I’ve completely lost confidence as I must suddenly have started to misread situations and don’t think I can face another interview. Not being able to earn any salary at all is obviously frightening and stressful too. Anyone please have you any advice to return to teaching successfully and combat the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune? Are there any threads of hope out there?

2. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

Would you consider short term supply for a brief stint? That was how I found a route back in after a long break.

Messaline likes this.
  3. Messaline

Messaline New commenter

Yes of course. Just not being offered anything outside London. Am trying Teach First ‘reconnect’ but seem to have a problem actually connecting with their representative which never seems to answer their phone...

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Supply work is easier to get , especially if you have experience. I would have given up on teaching years ago of I could only apply for permanent jobs.