1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Teaching as a Supply Teacher. Not taught since 2005. Advice/Ideas Welcome!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MissTurner, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MissTurner

MissTurner New commenter

Hi there all. I have been gratefully reading the advice for new supply teachers. It was most useful and I have copy and pasted some of it to print and keep with me so I have a back up when I start supply soon! Thankyou contributors!

Background on me
    I have just joined an agency, having left a Manager post in a Pre-School Playgroup, which didnt work out. (I started this in September 2015) previous to that I worked as Deputy Manager in a PreSchool for 5 years. Previous to that I was a full time parent. I haven't taught in a Primary school since 2005. I lost confidence in myself after losing out the permanent job I did for a year to an NQT. Anyway, I have a part time job and wish to do supply on two days a week, and try to get my passion/confidence back up to teaching in KS1.

I feel a bit like a fish out of water, and getting the fear. I want to do this to prove to myself I can and I am good at what I do. I worked with under 5s for so long and was valued by staff, parents and children. I also worked voluntarily as a Beaver Leader 2008-2012 so have bags of experience with the KS1 age group as well as early years.

I am just nervous because I don't know if I know enough about teaching anymore. If that makes any sense?
    I am reading everything i can on Primary National Curriculum. I know the EYFS back to front and inside out.
    Its such a lot to take in and I need to work with it to really get to know it properly.

I just need some advice where I can walk into a new school, and feel confident.

Thanks for listening/reading
    Caroline

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Your most pressing concerns will be knowing the curriculum and behaviour management. Most of the lessons will be planned for you, so younwill be able to pick up the subject knowledge as you go along to add to your own studies; as you say you will only really get to grips with it as you go.

Buy Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix to get some useful advice for behaviour management in general and there is a chapter for supply teachers.

Fake it until you make it: no matter how you feel always act confidently since the kids will respond confidently to that. Once you have a few weeks under your belt, it will get easier.

Don't expect perfection from yourself. Things may not go exactlynas you planned, but don't beat yourself up about it.

A lot of the times you will have a TA to help and they are invaluable, so always involve them as far as possible.

Once you get started you will find the schools you like and will want to go back to; others you might like so much and may not want to return to.

Let us know how you get on when you start.

MissTurner likes this.
  3. MissTurner

MissTurner New commenter

Thank you for the advice x

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

There is a compendium of posts about all things supply pinned at the top of the forum.
    I hope you find it helpful.