1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Teaching and Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by AJArmstron, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hi. I am about to start at a new Secondary School as a maths teacher (returning after a year and a half absence!) I am nervous about getting my classroom management up to speed and would be grateful for any advice on what I should do to prepare for next week.
    I thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Seating plans.
    Powerpoint of classroom rules.
    Class lists to mark down warnings/consequences.

3. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi there
    Welcome back to the greatest show on earth. Here's how to get them working for you:
    • Remember it's your room, not theirs. They should be nervous of crossing you.
    • Lay down your rules, perfectly clearly. Take some time over it. Show them that your rules mean something to you.
    • Then, whenever someone crosses the line, sanction them. Always. Always. Always.
    • If they fail to attend the detention, etc, then always follow up. escalate; involve more senior staff. Call home as a matter of course.
    • Keep immaculate records of who attends, doesn't attend, etc. Let them know that you know- let nothing slide.
    • Acknowledge that at first this will be extremely tiresome, and may start to drown you in paperwork, phone calls and detentions. Keep it up. It takes time for them to get the message. They are looking to see if you will crack first, so don't let them.
    • Stay strong, especially if it doesn't seem to be working; it is, but it won't happen instantly.
    Of course, you may have a nice, biddable class for whom order and restraint are the norm; I certainly hope you do get that. But even if it's slightly fractious, stick to the guidelines above. Be cool, even tempered, fair, strict and professional. Show them (and tell them if you feel like it) that you care about them- so much so that you're prepared to lay down the law in order to provide them with a safe space to learn. Once they see that, and you get that, then you can teach them anything you want, in exactly the way you want.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/