1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching - aged 44 any success stories or am I likely to find a flying pig?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lorraine-2018, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Lorraine-2018

Lorraine-2018 New commenter

I have worked in education for a long time in various roles and I want to return to teaching. However, I'm experienced and 44 years old. Obviously age and experience are against me from what I have been reading on here. Surely, some schools may want me?

2. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

Well, I wish you luck. It depends a lot on your geographical location as so many jobs seem to be in London and other major cities. It also may require you to be willing to take a low-ish salary to start with, although a lot depends on what your "various roles" have been and how recently you have taught in a school. I hope that those who are shortlisting applicants are willing to consider individuals who have more experience/have a slightly less straightforward teaching career pathway to date, as I think there are loads of excellent, older, experienced teachers who do not even get shortlisted nowadays. I know schools have budgets to consider, but.......

agathamorse likes this.
  3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Schools also have posts to fill. If you are a maths or science graduate then your prospects are good. Currently there are 293 mathematics vacancies to fill and I know from experience that a significant number will get few or no applications.

4. Lorraine-2018

I'm primary so I assume I will have to look elsewhere. It is so wrong.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your age isn't a factor, but being out of the classroom for some time will be.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

it depends what you mean by "success". Will you get a job? certainly. Most schools around here are running with vacancies.(London) will you earn your living?, yes, will you enjoy it? probably not, you will be working more than 70 hours a week, do more paperwork than teaching, and be constantly criticised. Will you survive? For a while.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree but that can be countered by flexibility in the pay scale you’re prepared to take to get started again.

8. Lorraine-2018

Thank you. I've just been shortlisted so I'll take it from there.

MathMan1 likes this.