1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after career break, moving from private sector to state sector.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyherke, Apr 24, 2018.

1. amyherke

amyherke New commenter

Hi there
    I qualified in Primary teaching in 2004. After a year of supply in the state sector, my first post was in the independent sector. I taught in the independent sector for 7 years, and have had the last 7 years at home as a full time mum. My question is, does anyone know if my 7 years of teaching in the independent sector will count towards Main Pay Scale, or will I go in on M1? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
    Amy

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Are you looking to start back in the state sector??!! :eek:

You should be aware that there is no pay portability now so the notion of years counting towards points on a scale is redundant: you are paid whatever you negotiate with the school.

In all honesty, your active experience was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away; effectively you will be starting from scratch in the state sector, so I would expect you to be offered something in what used to be the M1-3 range. Even if you went back to independent I don't think you'd achieve your old salary after a 7 year break.

You don't know until you try though, the decision will come down to the needs, attitudes and budgets of the individual schools you apply to. Best of luck.