1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after bringing up daughter

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dipitdee, Feb 16, 2020.

1. dipitdee

dipitdee New commenter

Hi all,
    Just looking for advice please as what to put on application forms?

I've decided to return to teaching after a 3 year break (i was supplying before my daughter was born and decided it was easier not to go back to work until she had her free hours)

I was intending to just go back to supplying, however I've seen a few jobs come up for schools/federations I know and wanted to apply, however all the applications for ask for 'present employer'. Do I just leave this blank?

Also how easy have people found it to go back after a break away from the profession? I was previously SLT before burning out and deciding on a career break, and am now looking for class teacher positions only.

Thanks all

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

I wouldn't leave it blank as that could be misinterpreted but as to what to put in I'm not so sure...if you want to try to elicit a wry smile from the recipient then something like "My child" might be appropriate :)

agathamorse and dipitdee like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do they not say 'present or most recent' employer?

4. dipitdee

dipitdee New commenter

Nope, it says 'present employer'

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I'd put Not currently employed or N/A (for most recent employer see below) or (three year career break) or whatever you feel happy putting.

Three years isn't that long, though if you are secondary all the gcse specs will have changed during that time so you'll have a few things to catch up on.

6. fluffyowl

fluffyowl New commenter

I would put N/A - Stay at home mum or Focusing on my family.

I spent 4 years out teaching/travelling and generally having a good time and it was easy to get back into it.

.... What I would say is go for it: teaching has become a lot more bearable in the last couple of years, if it's a decent school you should be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  7. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

Can I ask, in what way?

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

"Home Executive" is a useful job title.... we see it a lot on application forms for pupil places

friarsyear1 likes this.
  9. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

I have found that a major problem recently has been that references are needed to cover the most recent two years, even if you have not been working.Therefor this raises problems because who is meant to be a referee for those who've not been employed ? Some forms ask for "personal referees" who can not be relatives, but is it is hard to know who to use.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Go for it. I had a much longer break and could not find a permanent post. The longer you are away the harder it gets.

I have been doing Supply. Most available work is long term. You could use that to gain references.