1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after a year's break

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nooty, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I'm currently applying for teaching positions after working in behaviour management for a year. Before I did my current job, I worked in an independent school where the salary scales matched maintained schools. I started teaching there straight after my training, and stayed for nearly four years, reaching M4.
    However, I started my current job (not on teaching pay scales) just after Easter in 2010, so therefore not completing my M4 year. If a maintained school employs me, will I just pick up again at the beginning of the M4 pay scale, or does it not even apply because I was working in an independent school? I know I can't expect M5, because I didn't finish M4, but just wondering what my prospects are - not sure how it works.
    [To be honest, though, compared to my current salary (which I took a 11k pay cut to do!), even NQT salary would be great ;) ]
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Hi!
    I'm currently applying for teaching positions after working in behaviour management for a year. Before I did my current job, I worked in an independent school where the salary scales matched maintained schools. I started teaching there straight after my training, and stayed for nearly four years, reaching M4.
    However, I started my current job (not on teaching pay scales) just after Easter in 2010, so therefore not completing my M4 year. If a maintained school employs me, will I just pick up again at the beginning of the M4 pay scale, or does it not even apply because I was working in an independent school? I know I can't expect M5, because I didn't finish M4, but just wondering what my prospects are - not sure how it works.
    [To be honest, though, compared to my current salary (which I took a 11k pay cut to do!), even NQT salary would be great ;) ]
    Thanks in advance for any info.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It doesn't apply if it was an independent school, so technically they are not obliged to pay you anything more than M1.
    However, any school would have discretion to start you further up the scale if they chose, so it's worth asking whether they would be prepared to recognise your experience by placing you further up the scale.
    (If you had done Sept-Easter on M4 in a state school, then you would be entitled to M5, as you count as having "done" the year if you've worked in at least 26 weeks of the year - but only in a state school.)

4. General rule of thumb is that they move you up two levels if they deem you should have started on M1, but you may be able to wangle some R&R if lucky...

5. Thanks very much for clarifying this for me.
    Half of me thinks it might be a good bargaining tool - being as cheap as an NQT but having four years' experience. Would that help, do you think? The other half of me is mad, because I worked as hard as anyone to get to M4 - yes, it was independent, but no different to many of the 'leafy lane' maintained schools I now come across with my current job (I just had more pressure, more duties, more reports, etc).
    Hmmm. The more I think about it, the longer I wish I'd held on for a maintained school job (ironically was offered one the day after accepting the independent job..grr!).