1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after a break to have a family.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mupsie, Apr 30, 2012.

1. I am a science teacher with 5 years teaching experience, however I have not taught since July 09. I am thinking about trying to return to teaching maybe next year (I am actually starting to miss it), has anyone been successful in returning after a break like this? Things seem to have changed a lot, would I need to do a return to teaching course? Would I need to do this if I was applying to the Independent sector? And so you retain your payscale point or do you start again? Oh and is Science still a shortage subject? So many questions!?!
    Any help, advice, pointers would be greatfully recieved.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hi
    I had a two year baby break between 2009 and 2011, and managed to get back into it OK I think. I am secondary English. I joined an agency, and also networked like mad- luckily I was offered a 2 day a week maternity cover within a couple of weeks. I am now looking for something permanent for September, but there are NO permanent part time jobs, just maternity cover; if you're planning on returning full time, it'll probably be easier to find something permanent.
    I have continued up the pay scale as normal, and have needed no retraining, so it's definitly possible. Good luck x

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, science is <u>supposed </u>to be easier to find positions for, particularly if it's Physics.
    Doubt if any 'return to teaching courses' are running these days -too many teachers out there already.
    Yes, things have changed in the past few years. KS3 is all part of 'the New Curriculum' where students often study a topic, within which individual subjects feature, for a term. From what I gather from a Science colleague the old 'Combined Science' is out and they're back to Biology, Chemistry and Physics, so it might be worth doing some research. Look at exam boards for how the curriculum has changed and current initiatives. Look here on the TES and any government sites.
    Payscale? Well, it used to be you kept your previous payscale, which after 5 years would make you quite expensive, compared to cheaper NQTs, but with the rise of Academies, who can set their own pay and conditions, as of course can Independent Schools, the National Pay Scale may not hold for much longer. Even the government was talking about localised pay scales, which the Unions were debating in their recent conferences.

4. lizziegrace

lizziegrace New commenter

Hi!
    I am just returning after a 9 year break for my young family - so it is definitely possible! I looked at return to teaching but didn't feel I could do the hours with little kids so have just been volunteering at local schools to network and sure enough a Maternity Cover came up which I got. The volunteering is useful as you can get back up to speed with any changes slowly, plus in a practical subject like science I could see a route in that way (I am Art so also easy to find extra things to do help a department out). I am returning at the point I would have progressed to naturally had I carried on 9 years ago...don't know about independent I'm afraid. Good luck :)
    Liz