1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after 2 year break

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ericdamon, Sep 30, 2018.

1. ericdamon

ericdamon New commenter

hi I have over 20 years teaching experience. Had to take 2 years off for family reasons. Itching to get back in the classroom.
    What do I need to know in term of major changes please? In terms of assessment etc

Thank you in adavance

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Which classroom? Primary or secondary.

Not sure there's been any major changes in the last 2 years that you would need to BS about in the interview.

One small change is that recruitment and retention has gone from bad to worse so the only searching question that will be posed (unsaid) by the interview panel is....
    "Are you likely to hang around for a few months at least"

Otherwise just be in possession of a pulse and you'll zoom into bottom-end schools.

Alice K likes this.
  3. ericdamon

ericdamon New commenter

Thank you
    And it’s primary

4. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Budget cuts
    The new curriculum and what is now expected by the end of ks1 and 2 - quite a jump up from before !

5. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

Not a lot of change since 2016, IMO. AllI would say is, just take care to accept a job in a school whose culture will treat you as a human being. So, could be difficult depending where you live.

6. Lindzloo

Lindzloo New commenter

You could update your safeguarding and do GDPR training. You can do these online or book in on a course perhaps ( get registered with a teaching union as they provide them) I did an online one called flick learning which provided a certificate and was recognised by a big trust so credible. Also do some supply work but perhaps longer term contract! I’ve noticed in the two years I’ve been out in Primary is the use of technology and communication with parents- twitter Facebook online learning platforms etc so get up to sped there too!

Good luck
    :)

7. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

There was a DfE primary assessment consultation in 2017 and the response published in Sept. 2017. Link here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/improvements-to-the-primary-assessment-system-announced
    There's to be a reception baseline assessment from 2020 and KS1 tests will be non-statutory from 2023; there's no need for KS2 reading and maths TA. Writing assessment continues to be problematic.
    Ofsted will publish a new inspection framework for Sept. 2019.
    I imagine you'll find that the new curriculum is much more embedded than when you took your break.
    Not much then!!
    Good luck!