1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teaching after 10 years. What has changed?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kmoran3, Jun 17, 2020.

1. kmoran3

kmoran3 New commenter

I am looking to return to primary teaching after 10 years and looking for some guidance or links to see how the curriculum has changed in that time. I also haven't had any classroom experience in the last 5 years, will this affect my application?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10 years is quite some time.

You would be best advised to dip your toe in the water doing supply work first.

Not only will this help you see the changes (although you should also do some serious research and reading), but after a while you will have schools where you are known and appreciated so you could ask them to be referees for any job application.

Best wishes

3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Don't listen to the scare stories, people rarely post when they're 'somewhat content'.

Although sadly the scare stories are real people's real lived experiences which is a shame.

Go supply first, you might remember how behaviour was getting worse. Just have a look around before you dive head first in.

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I hope that you’ll be considering nothing more than a class teacher role at this stage- 10 years is a very long time and curriculum has changed drastically in that time- even 5 years ago- was you secondary then?

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

You'd need to do some supply first to get back into the swing of things and start to get to grips with the new curriculum.

Marisha likes this.
  6. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

People expected to do more with less and more aggressive management styles.

agathamorse and edenhendry like this.
  7. vis19

vis19 New commenter

I could have written this.

10 year since I qualified. 5 years since I did supply. I'm essentially an NQT without the recent experience.

I currently work for a charity and have been furloughed and things are looking bleak. Being at home, home schooling the kids has highlighted just how much I miss teaching ( and now the kids are at school age, I can finally embrace that full time teaching role ❤️)

I am registering with supply agencies for Sept. Hoping to get a terms worth of supply or day to day worst case scenario. Then look to more permanent positions after Xmas.

So the following month I'm going to spend reading all I can to catch up on my knowledge and pedagogy.