1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teach in UK after working overseas

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by swight, Dec 31, 2019.

1. swight

swight New commenter

Hi all,

Was hoping for some input from any informed parties on reentering UK teaching after a spell abroad. To give a brief background, I'm British and obtained my PGCE and QTS in the UK in 2014 but moved directly overseas (Malaysia then Singapore) to teach the same year. I didn't complete an NQT but have 6 years relevant teaching experience in my subject and role. My question is:

Where would this place me on the MPS in England in terms of what point I would enter, never having begun at point 1?

I'm strongly considering relocating back to the UK, specifically London, but would only do so if my experience were to be recognised and remunerated accordingly. Does anybody have a similar professional journey?

Look forward to your insight.
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Your salary now will be whatever you can negotiate with your new employer. Not having done NQT year might be an issue.

Morninglover and install like this.
  3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Unless you are a shortage subject, expect to be on MPS 1 and have to complete your NQT year if you are wanting to enter the state sector.
    Might be different in private schools, which also might understand your experience better depending on what you have been teaching abroad.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

You could try to negotiate higher than M1, particularly if you are looking at schools who find it hard to fill their vacancies. But I suspect in the current climate, they might use this as an excuse to try to get someone who is effectively an experienced teacher for a cheap rate. Or, as Cheesypop said, look at the private schools who may not be so hung up on the pay scale thing.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are technically an NQT, a state school will presumably be obliged to give you the extra non-contact time that goes with that, so you will be in some ways less valuable to them than a second-year-qualified teacher.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. swight

swight New commenter

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your very useful answers. My subject is, to my knowledge, still a shortage one (MFL). Presumably academies are are not bound by MPS and can offer more flexibilty with regard to remuneration?

Thanks,
    Samuel

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Nobody is bound by anything other than the top and bottom of the scale. However most schools are bound by their budgets. If you go to interview and you're the only halfway reasonable candidate, you might be able to negotiate more. On the other hand, if there's a decent NQT or second-year teacher up against you, and the budget is tight, they might only be prepared to offer M1.

Piranha likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Indeed, academies are more likely to try to pay less than the going rate. I might be wrong, but I have never heard of any wanting to pay teachers more than the STPCD maxima! Although perhaps the odd Head might get extra!

Seriously, though, you will only get more if you can convince them that you are still better value than other candidates. Which means that you need to convince them that you are appreciably better as a teacher than somebody with less experience who has been in the UK system recently, or somebody with similar UK experience. The fact that you will have a reduced timetable due to being an NQT won't help, although I don't know if you could offer not to have this.

sabrinakat likes this.