1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teach in UK - advice?!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Scotsden, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I'm a primary teacher, currently working in Asia, but looking to return to the UK in 18 months when my contract finishes.
    I graduated from a Scottish university 6 years ago, completed my probation year in Scotland, followed by a one year contract in Scotland covering long term sickness, but was only offered 2 days a week supply after this, which I couldn't face, so I made the decision to move to the Middle East, where I've spent the last 3 years teaching at a good international school.
    As the job situation in Scotland was still dire, I decided to move out to Asia this year for a new experience...plus the package was excellent! So far I am enjoying teaching here. I'm in a great school, which offers great CPD opportunities. But due to family issues, I've made the decision to move back to the UK when this contract finishes in 18 months.
    However, after reading some of the forums on here, I'm worried that my 5 years teaching abroad will not help me in securing a teaching job back in the UK. I had my first 2 years of teaching in Scotland with CfE, then my 3 years in the Middle East teaching English National Curriculum, and now teaching PYP in Asia. I am fully aware that the situation in Scotland is awful, and will only get worse, so I've pretty much given up hope already of getting a job there. I am thinking about London, but would consider anywhere in the UK really.
    Does anyone have any advice of how best to go about getting a job in London/anywhere in UK?! Do you think the changes in countries and curriculums would be held against me, or viewed as a positive experience that has enhanced my teaching skills, EAL experience and displays my flexibility? Is there anything particular that I could be doing in the next 18 months (other than continuing to attend CPD courses and training) that would help me to secure a job back home? Does anyone know if you can apply for jobs in the UK now and 'defer' them for a year, like you can do with some international jobs? Any advice/help would be appreciated!

2. I'm a primary teacher, currently working in Asia, but looking to return to the UK in 18 months when my contract finishes.
    I graduated from a Scottish university 6 years ago, completed my probation year in Scotland, followed by a one year contract in Scotland covering long term sickness, but was only offered 2 days a week supply after this, which I couldn't face, so I made the decision to move to the Middle East, where I've spent the last 3 years teaching at a good international school.
    As the job situation in Scotland was still dire, I decided to move out to Asia this year for a new experience...plus the package was excellent! So far I am enjoying teaching here. I'm in a great school, which offers great CPD opportunities. But due to family issues, I've made the decision to move back to the UK when this contract finishes in 18 months.
    However, after reading some of the forums on here, I'm worried that my 5 years teaching abroad will not help me in securing a teaching job back in the UK. I had my first 2 years of teaching in Scotland with CfE, then my 3 years in the Middle East teaching English National Curriculum, and now teaching PYP in Asia. I am fully aware that the situation in Scotland is awful, and will only get worse, so I've pretty much given up hope already of getting a job there. I am thinking about London, but would consider anywhere in the UK really.
    Does anyone have any advice of how best to go about getting a job in London/anywhere in UK?! Do you think the changes in countries and curriculums would be held against me, or viewed as a positive experience that has enhanced my teaching skills, EAL experience and displays my flexibility? Is there anything particular that I could be doing in the next 18 months (other than continuing to attend CPD courses and training) that would help me to secure a job back home? Does anyone know if you can apply for jobs in the UK now and 'defer' them for a year, like you can do with some international jobs? Any advice/help would be appreciated!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Have you had a look at the "Unemployed Teachers" forum recently? Well, if you were to do this, then my guess is that you would not consider coming back to the UK. And how will you attend interviews in the UK, if you are not going to be in the UK for another 18 months? I am sorry to be rather negative and perhaps even a tad unhelpful, but what you are proposing to do is not really very feasible, unless of course you happen to teach Physics.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Bloody hard to get work in the UK even with experience and I'd say sadly your PYP curriculum experience over the present contract will work against you, as it will for me as I too am about to start an overseas post in a non-UK curriculum school. The key words are 'up to date with current curriculum practice' and even an international school teaching the UK Curriculum may not be considered acceptable in keeping your knowledge current, as in general CPD is weak abroad and an issue we often undervalue when accepting posts.

5. Yes, I've read lots of the posts on the Unemployed Teachers forum, so I know the job situation is bad, but I do have to move closer to home. I have holidays over Christmas, in January, for Easter, etc and would be willing to fly back to the UK for interviews, if I had to, and if I thought I had a genuine chance of getting the job. Or I will just wait until I get back to the UK before applying for jobs. I am just looking for some advice on what I could be doing in the meantime to improve my chances. As I've never actually worked in England, I'm also unsure of the 'best' time to look - when do a lot of the jobs start to be advertised? Are there any success stories out there, from overseas primary teachers who have returned to the UK recently (in the last year or so) and managed to get jobs? There must be some!!!

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

There are several threads on this subject with useful stuff by TheoGriff, JenniferLonghu and, dare I say it, even me. Forum search?

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Dear OP, a couple of points (whether they make sense is another matter). You might very well be suffering that common state of anti-euphoria which sets in once the excitement and novelty of a new position has worn off and you recognize that you have a 12 hour flight 'home'. That is very common. You might also be without a partner or dependents. So you are relying on a network of friends you have only just begun to develop. You are possibly coming towards the end of a very long first term with all the adjusting a new school demands and expects. So these feelings are absolutely normal. Give it a year. If by November of Year 2 you are still not settled and are unhappy, start applying. State positions generally come up a term in advance - perhaps 6 months or in the case of expansion, 9 at the longest due to the notice period being relatively short. Indies will have a similar pattern. Lots of competition, but a well-crafted CV showing you have done your research on the school and indicating you are willing to learn will go a long way. A polite letter about yourself also helps, but try to keep it to a couple of sides. Be absolutely draconian with your proofreading and your correct use of grammar. Good luck - lots of people feel similar this time of year.