1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to teach in the UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by camcam78, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hello all
    Im a uk trained art and design secondary teacher and completed my induction year here before moving to the republic of Ireland where I taught for seven years. I have returned home to England now and applied for a three secondary jobs but not heard back from them after the interview deadline passed. Is it common that schools dont even let you know that you were not successful with your application and do people think that the fact that I have been teaching outside of the UK for so long would be a significant reason for not being shortlisted?? I have an interresting and diverse teaching background including ten summers teaching in America and one year teaching in China but only my induction year teaching in the UK.

2. Hello all
    Im a uk trained art and design secondary teacher and completed my induction year here before moving to the republic of Ireland where I taught for seven years. I have returned home to England now and applied for a three secondary jobs but not heard back from them after the interview deadline passed. Is it common that schools dont even let you know that you were not successful with your application and do people think that the fact that I have been teaching outside of the UK for so long would be a significant reason for not being shortlisted?? I have an interresting and diverse teaching background including ten summers teaching in America and one year teaching in China but only my induction year teaching in the UK.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Yes, nowadays many schools say in their details If you do not hear from us by X date, then you may assume that your application has been unsuccessful. But many don't even bother to say this, and do not acknowledge unsuccessful applications.
    A lot has changed on the applications scene since you left!
    Q2 It all depends on how you presented it in your individual letters to the schools. They were individual application letters, weren't they? Done specifically for each school? With an executive summary that highlighted how you fit their criteria? And how you are up to speed with the changes in the curriculum etc. since you left? Your application either sells you, or it doesn't.
    There is an over-supply of teachers at present in the UK, and falling secondary numbers with falling school budgets mean that there are actually redundancies in some schools. This academic year, there has been a fall of over 15% in the number of jobs advertised, yet 50% of the 2010 NQTs have not yet been able to start their induction, and one third of the 2009 cohort are in the same position!
    So more unemployed teachers chasing fewer jobs.
    That's why it is so important that your application is absolutely top-notch in all respects, if it is going to be considered at all for a post in fierce competition with so many other candidates. Follow the advice given in the Welcome thread for an increased chance of getting an interview.
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!