1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Returning to teach in Thailand after claiming back tax many years ago.....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cunninghamleah, Oct 20, 2016.

  1. cunninghamleah

    cunninghamleah New commenter

    Could anyone in the know point me in the right direction how how to find out or perhaps let me know if there is a way to return to working in thailand without paying back the tax i once claimed back? im hoping after this many years (over 10) it wouldnt be an issue but i dont know how to find out for sure. When i left i thought id never return but now giving it serious consideration! Any advice would be really appreciated.
  2. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    If you're using your real name, you need to change it urgently. No-one in Thailand will employ you if they think you're in trouble with the tax authorities.
  3. fsmc

    fsmc Occasional commenter

    Wait, if I've got this right you claimed back tax from the Thai authorities? How exactly did you manage that? Foreign teachers are subject to tax over there.
  4. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Oh you have a lot to learn fsmc:p

    Teachers have been reclaiming it forever. There are even companies set up in Thailand that will do it for you
  5. fsmc

    fsmc Occasional commenter

    Tbf there wouldn't be a whole lot to reclaim as I was paid ESL peanut wages, lol!

    But seriously, it can be reclaimed? I'd like to go back there one day (working for an international school obviously...) and the reclamation at that point could be a sizable chunk of cash.
  6. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Im no expert, and just going off what friends that have worked there have told me. But yes, you can reclaim it. Others that have been through this process will undoubtedly be along soon to tell you more
  7. percy topliss

    percy topliss Occasional commenter

    Tax can be reclaimed, a good school will help you to do it but there are also some bandits on here who will do it for a slice of your pie. However, to the OP, why should this be an issue? You lawfully reclaimed tax through a bilateral agreement which the Thai authorities have with the UK government, there is nothing wrong with that. If you now begin a new contract here you just start again, paying tax as usual, the only difference being that if you leave again you cannot claim tax a second time. Also, yes, if that is your name I suggest you delete this thread before you start to apply!
    Beach tonight, its half term.

  8. schmedz

    schmedz Occasional commenter

    I believe you can apply to claim back the tax you've paid if you are in Thailand for less than 2 years. An ex-colleague is trying - and despite losing half of it in 'fees' to the company she is using to help her (they don't make it easy!), it is still worth it.
  9. percy topliss

    percy topliss Occasional commenter

    Certainly worth it. I pay about 20% tax every month.

    Poor Percy

Share This Page