1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to secondary teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrscat3, Jun 5, 2017.

1. mrscat3

mrscat3 New commenter

I returned to secondary teaching in 2015 after a two-year career break due to family circumstances. Before that I lectured part-time in Eng Lit for seven years, and before that taught English at KS4 and KS5 for four years. I had previously run a charity English language summer school for seventeen years. Since 2015 I have had three short-term contracts, with the last one ending in Nov 2016. I have good subject knowledge, not a lot of recent classroom experience and last pay scale was MP6. I am in my early fifties. I have put in several applications recently, but I don't seem to get any further interviews.
    I should be grateful for any advice on my chances of yet making a classroom teacher. Many thanks.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Perhaps you are too expensive?

Maybe you could do some tutoring, to get up to speed on the new GCSE and A level English specs? Or sign up for exam marking next year?

Do some supply, so schools can see you're knowledgeable and reliable?

You could target 6th forms or colleges? Or go for fixed term contracts or maternity covers?

sabrinakat and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mrscat3

mrscat3 New commenter

Thank you...
    Recently set myself up as tutor specifically for AQA English Lang / Lit GCSE and A-level (up to speed with all specs), am an examiner for AQA A-level lit, am registered with a few supply agencies but only got a few days' work so far, targeting 6th forms and colleges, too, applying for all sorts of contracts - not many ideas left that I can think of - grateful for any other suggestions, of there are any!

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

How recently? Wrong time of year. Might pick up after September.

How about a maternity contract with an odd start date - less competition.

5. mrscat3

mrscat3 New commenter

Thank you. Tutor since January. Will keep applying - less competition may be my chance.