1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to secondary teaching after career break

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hulldale, May 4, 2019.

1. hulldale

hulldale New commenter

After an 8 year break from teaching secondary humanities (History & RE), I am really keen to return and am thinking of applying for a position. However, I'm not really sure where to start! I would really appreciate any advice on preparing my application and updating my knowledge of changes and developments in this area over the last few years. Thank you in advance.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Research subject specifications online. Join a HUMS Facebook group, so helpful to do so. The process of application hasn't changed in the last 13 years.

3. cuttingcaroline

cuttingcaroline New commenter

I took a two year break and just signed up to several agencies to get myself back in the classroom, it worked wonders. I did long term supply and I got to see and experience all the changes without having all the added pressure.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. hulldale

hulldale New commenter

Many thanks!

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A lot will have changed since you were last in a classroom, not least the changes to GCSE and A-level.
    Perhaps approach local schools for a chance to observe or shadow a teacher for a day or so and have a chat to the HOD regarding recent changes.

6. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Who will you put down as referees after 8 years?

7. hulldale

hulldale New commenter

Hi,
    My previous head teacher is still at the school, remembers me well and is happy to be my referee. I'm also still in touch with my previous HOD who is my second referee.

Bentley89 likes this.
  8. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Sign up to some agencies to get some short-term work and apply to jobs that tickle your fancy - you never know these days. Good luck!

hulldale likes this.