1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to school from mat leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by RSnowdon, Jul 7, 2019.

1. RSnowdon

RSnowdon New commenter

I went on maternity leave in November 2018 and had my baby a few weeks later. I asked for a part time role on my return but I was refused this. Due to this, I decided to resign my post (I got no maternity pay from my school at all so no issue with paying anything back)

I put in my letter that I will return to work for 2 days at the end of term (18th and 19th July) and resign 31st August. I did this so I could get paid for the 6 weeks hols.

I've just heard from my sister who is a deputy head at her school that I have to go back for a full week to get my 6 weeks holidays paid for? I'm now panicking like crazy that I won't get the hols paid for as I'm really banking on this money. I've tried researching and I've seen some teachers putting the first day of the holidays as their return to work, so they get paid for the 6 weeks. However, I have heard off a couple of people that they had to work a week?

I'm so confused and I'm really worried about it! Can anyone tell me if it's true that you have to work a week to get paid for the holidays... Or if its just a myth?!

Thanks! Xx

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's a myth. It's a statutory right (not just teachers) that you can return from your maternity leave on a date of your choosing.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Going back for a week doesn't sound at all right to me. I believe that your maternity leave counts towards your notice period as you are still in their employment whilst on leave.

Check this out with HR.