1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to school after maternity- can I get holiday pay?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thegruffaloschild, Feb 3, 2012.

1. HI, The best place to check is the direct.gov site. You would most probably be able to find this on the website if not give them a ring. I have got three children and can confirm that you earn holiday's while on maternity leave. So as a teacher I would assume that you would be entitled to the same. As for the back to work days, as far as I am aware you get paid for these and it does not affect your maternity pay. Hope this helps.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Whilst in "normal" jobs you accumulate some holiday whilst off which can then be added onto the end of maternity leave, this doesn't apply to teaching. The idea is to ensure that you do get the statutory four weeks per year, carried into the next year. However since the 13 weeks a teacher gets far exceed this statutory requirement, there is no entitlement to "accrued holiday".
    What is the case for teachers is that you can name the date you want to return from maternity leave, and that can be the first day of a holiday if you so choose.

3. Hi,

I am currently on maternity leave, also going back just as Easter begins. So yes, you can stipulate the date you return and I got paid for both of my keeping in touch days.

Hope this helps.