1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hsz06rgu, Jul 14, 2020.

1. hsz06rgu

hsz06rgu New commenter

Hi all, I'm going to be returning part time to Reception in September after almost 6 years in Year One. It's not been long enough that I can't remember anything and I've been desperate to get back to a full play based curriculum (I tried in Y1 but SLT were rather fussy!).

I do have a question about planning though. The last time I was in Reception, we did a weekly maths and English plan (mainly a general overview of what we wanted to cover on the carpet each day, subject to change and one adult directed task for each), a weekly phonics plan and a plan for the enhancements we would include or that happened to pop up through the week).

Since being away, it looks as though the current eyfs teacher (who is on maternity until jan so I will be job sharing with an NQT) only has a phonics plan and either a weekly maths or english, alternating each week. I can't find anything about the enhanced provisions, continuous provision etc. In fact, they're still using the same continuous provision plans I made 7 years ago.

What does your weekly/termly planning look like in Reception? I don't want to structure it too much, but with a change of head this year who is focused on the early years I have a good opportunity to get it right!

TIA.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Work with the NQT as to what they want to do and find out what the school/EYFS lead want as well.
    It sounds more as if the current Reception teacher isn't planning in CP or for enhancements as opposed to using yours.

We don't do any planning for enhancements or CP...the children decide what they want to do in those areas each week. We plan for a maths and English each week, but it is very very flexible.

We use RWI for phonics, so that is daily, but not something we plan as classteachers.