1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returning to reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gsgirl, Nov 29, 2015.

1. gsgirl

gsgirl New commenter

Hi, I have an interview next Tuesday for a post as teacher in a reception class. I began my career as a reception teacher and since have taught KS1 and taught in SEND, but now am returning (I hope!) to reception. During my walk around the school with the deputy head I was told, 'we don't want carousel stuff and we think there is too much free play, we want it much more structured than that'. So what is it you do nowadays? The learning side of the job I have no problem with, I'm confident with that, but if you could throw me some ideas on how you structure a lesson, say for literacy, I might have an idea of what they are looking for.
    Before I would have two focus tables (say we were beginning to blend cvc words), one which I worked at with a group whilst the second table group would be working on something similar but more as a game, the sand and water would have letters or cvc items in , the computer would have a cvc game, and outside would have a similar theme with the TA. The reading area and role play would keep be as the term theme dictated; and there would be free movement between these. I would start with the whole class with a cvc activity, either e-board, game or story, and then explain what I wanted the children to do. I would have each group in rotation and the TA would have a main focus with the outdoors group. Every 15 mins I would change groups and refocus the class.
    Is this out of date now? If so, what do you suggest?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would say that this is a school where management do not really understand Early Years. The emphasis at the moment is very much on the value of child-initiated learning, extended periods of "free play", and following children's interests. Generally I would say that 'best practice' is considered to be less structured than you describe, although many schools still do carousels or similar. What it sounds like your potential new school wants is a mini-KS1, which is definitely not the current fashion.

There is a good video on YouTube that explains about child-initiated learning and is a good example of current 'best practice'. Search for "Carterhatch Infant School". The deputy head (the lady speaking in the video) is an outstanding and experienced Early Years teacher who is the author of books about Early Years teaching.

You could also look at the blog "abc does", written by Alistair Bryce-Clegg, another big name in current Early Years 'best practice'. He is also a highly regarded author of books about Early Years teaching.

3. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I totally agree with Kartoshka. The way the head has described is very formal and not really seen as best practice by most these days.

I don't believe children should be under a rotation thing - what about if a child is so engrossed in something and then all of a sudden off you go and do the next pre planned activity?

That structure would not allow underlying themes of the EYFS curriculum - where's the unique child? There's also no room for imagination or creativity when you are giving children set things to do.

Kartoshka likes this.