1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Primary Teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Oliviaa91, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Hi all, and thanks in advance for reading and responding, all advice is welcomed as i am well and truly daunted and overwhelmed!

I graduated in July 2014 and gained QTS through a BA Primary Education degree. That year i didn't undertake a teaching role due to having a baby and so i took time out because of this.
    During my time out i've gained a TEFL qualification but in regards to CPD i am stumped and could really do with pointers in the right direction to refresh my knowledge of changes to the curriculum before i think about tackling the classroom again!

I went to a 'Return to Teaching' event today but it was advertised incorrectly and was aimed more at aspiring teachers and so nobody could really offer me any advice as they wanted to offer me the qualifications i already had!

I'm very nervous about getting back in the classroom, i haven't done my NQT year yet and i'm aware the longer i delay this the less likely it will be completed... The local school to me isn't interested in helping and i'm not quite sure where i should turn so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!
    xx

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on that toddler! Not long now before you reach the Terrible Twos, mind . . .;)

May I suggest that you post on the Primary Forum? There you will find people who know exactly what it is that you are missing. Mind you, two years isn't long, and in some areas it is getting hard to find Primary teachers, so you could be in a good position.

Don't panic, it is hardly a very long gap!

I got QTS ages ago, but have never done my induction year. Can I still apply for jobs as a NQT?

And read this too:

Doing NQT induction in an independent school

As long as you get your child care properly sorted, it will not be as bad as you think. A 3-year training should be very useful for you.

Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your reply and the link about QTS- very reassuring!

The second link however said it didn't exist and I was unable to access :(

Thank you for the congratulations! Time has flown so quickly!

I will take your advice and post this on the primary forum too, thank you :)

X

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try again . . .