1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to previous workplace

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by curlcurlcurl, Sep 20, 2017.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

After spending 5 years at one school, I've moved on to a new one and a new role as 2ic of my subject this September.

The reason for the move was a combination of a demeaning and overbearing head of dept who handed in her notice a month after I got my new role and has now left. She played a huge part in my job hunt and I wish I'd have known she was leaving sooner as that may wel have altered my decision. Other factors were also a longer journey than I wanted and finally, some crazy turnaround deadlines for marking.

Two weeks into my new school experience and I'm uncertain. The department are lovely, deadlines and performance management much more reasonable, journey is much easier but ultimately, I'm missing part of my old role (I had a dept post holder responsibility and was a lead teacher, the latter I don't have at my new school and am missing the focus on teaching and learning). More pressingly, I'm really missing the old students. I'm fully aware we deal with a new set of pupils every September but it was the character of the students at my old school that had kept me there for so long. Some people can take or leave character on a windy, rainy Friday afternoon but, for me, spending hours a week with students means I need to have some enthusiasm.

I left on very good terms with my headteacher, SLT team and the temporary acting head of my department that has replaced the one who was incompetent.

My question is, should I consider returning there? I have it on authority from multiple members of SLT that I'd be welcomed back, it's also been done a few times before with other teachers. Or might this simply be new school/new procedures/lack of being established with students fear that could be putting me off so early?

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Yes :cool:

3. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

To which part, install?

4. install

install Star commenter

Returning:cool:

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Relationships take a long time to build. Be patient. Pupil bodies are different, some areas have lovely children, others children with whom collaborative working is more difficult. If you got positive working relationships with the last group of learners, you probably will once you know each other have positive relationships with this group.
    If you are good, your new school will probably soon be giving you some responsibilities.
    If you go back somewhere it's never quite the same as when you left.

However, at the end of the day, only you can decide on what your priorities are.