1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to previous workplace

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MaST2010, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, I really hope someone is able to help me.
    I moved jobs in September 2010 for a TLR job and became a member of the SLT, however I have not had a very good time at the school and feel the standard of my teaching has fallen due to a number of issues.
    Anyway, the point of my post, a job has been advertised at the school I previsouly taught at. It is a classroom teacher job so no TLR; but I am so unhappy I don't mind this. What do people think about returning to a previous school, is it something that is common?
    Unfortunately I can't ring and speak to the head as it is now half term and the closing date is on Friday.
    Thank you for reading and any suggestions/ experiences would be gratefully recieved.

2. Hi everyone, I really hope someone is able to help me.
    I moved jobs in September 2010 for a TLR job and became a member of the SLT, however I have not had a very good time at the school and feel the standard of my teaching has fallen due to a number of issues.
    Anyway, the point of my post, a job has been advertised at the school I previsouly taught at. It is a classroom teacher job so no TLR; but I am so unhappy I don't mind this. What do people think about returning to a previous school, is it something that is common?
    Unfortunately I can't ring and speak to the head as it is now half term and the closing date is on Friday.
    Thank you for reading and any suggestions/ experiences would be gratefully recieved.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I recently went back to a previous school.
    I now remember why I left in the first place....

4. Thanks for that point Dunteachin.
    I know that every school has its issues but I know my previous school would be better than were I am now, as I am currently considering quiting teaching.

5. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I've only heard of it happening once and this was someone returning to teacing after some years at home raising a family. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen often though.
    It would be good to speak to the head before applying but if you can't and you know you want the job,then apply anyway and see what happens. The trickier bit is that you will have to tell your current school as you have to put your current head down as a reference (and if you don't, they will contact them anyway).
    Just one word of warning - don't expect your current school to be exactly as it was before - things move fast in teaching and you left the school 18 months ago.
    If you want the job, go for it, and good luck with your application..

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

And don't take it personally if you don't get the job.
    Good luck and all the best.

7. I would also consider going back. You have to consider your work life balance and well being. I have been teaching only 8 years. I enjoyed the first four. The last four have been hell and it's only going to get worse. I'm Currently off sick and considering a different career. Trouble is I'm not qualified enough to get a job with the same rate of pay!!

I don't understand why Heads can treat staff like they do and get away with. I have read so many post about bullying heads. It makes me feel sick. We have no power at all as teachers. If you get the unions involved ya done for!! Sorry for the rant. Hope you sort your situation out soon.

8. I recently went back to my previous school and previous job after leaving for a promotion. For a number of reasons I was unhappy in the new place and decided that quality of life was more important than TLRs. This was definitely one of my better decisions, although my old school had indeed changed a surprising amount in the intervening 12 months. My advice would be to try to phone the HT even during half term. Unless they're overseas they are pretty likely to return your call. Although people say you can never go back, sometimes you can...

9. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

My OH's first job was back at his old school. He then left the area for a year, then moved back to his old school and stayed for another 8 years. It was then time to move on and up.
    I also know of two other teachers who did this. One left for promotion to Dep HT, had a breakdown, and returned to the original school as a basic teacher, but soon got his old As HT job back.
    The other left for a year to move to another area and start something new. She returned to her old job which had been downgraded in her absence.
    It is possible to return and I wish you luck.