1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Part Time Teaching

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by aileenkelly, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hello All,
    I am currently looking for part time work following having our first baby and an academic year off. The problem is, I have no idea how part time I will want to be! I know I don't want to be full time, as I don't want to miss out on that much time with my daughter. Most part time work is 0.5 - but will that seem too little? I have seen some jobs at 0.7 or 0.8 (about 3 1/2 days per week) but then it is only really one day less than full time.
    It is so hard to tell how I will feel when I return to work. Can anyone tell me there experience, or their tips for how to make this decision!! Also, can anyone advise how long it takes to get ready to leave the house in the morning when you have a 1 year old?
    Thanks!
    Aileen

2. Hello All,
    I am currently looking for part time work following having our first baby and an academic year off. The problem is, I have no idea how part time I will want to be! I know I don't want to be full time, as I don't want to miss out on that much time with my daughter. Most part time work is 0.5 - but will that seem too little? I have seen some jobs at 0.7 or 0.8 (about 3 1/2 days per week) but then it is only really one day less than full time.
    It is so hard to tell how I will feel when I return to work. Can anyone tell me there experience, or their tips for how to make this decision!! Also, can anyone advise how long it takes to get ready to leave the house in the morning when you have a 1 year old?
    Thanks!
    Aileen

3. Hello!
    I have done full time with a 1 year old (nightmare), 0.6 (good) and 0.52 (excellent).
    3 days a week is enough to feel involved, but to give you a good amount of time at home too in my opinion. After having my second I dropped from 0.6 to 0.52 coz I felt I wasn't really giving my kids enough time, but also I wasn't doing enough at work to progress (so decided to do less! At this time I also passed threshold at the first attempt, so part-time doesn't hold you back).
    It's the drop in marking that makes the biggest difference. I manage to get all my school work done during the week now, and have non to do at the weekend (I often use my daughers nap time to catch up on work).
    I'm secondary, so I don't job share, i just get my own timetable.
    So far as getting ready, I have always done it in 50 minutes - 4yr old, 1yr old and me, fed, dressed and out. I like/need my sleep too much for it to take any longer!
    GOod luck!

4. Hi,
    I've just returned to work part time (my son is one next week). I am doing 2 days a week teaching SAT's booster groups af around 15 - 20 children. This is plenty for me, I hate leaving my son and I miss him terribly in the day. He loves his child minder and is pretty happy there although he does get more clingy and always wakes up crying for me in the night after the first day with her each week, this means I always do my second day on very little sleep. I'm getting used to it but I'm really glad I'm not doing more.

5. I returned to work when my daughter was 7months old, on a 0.5 contract where I worked every morning. For me this was fantastic, it meant that I only left her for a few hours each day and gave her a very structured routine. On the down side it did mean 5 lots of getting up and out and 5 lots of petrol to work-luckily only 7miles.
    Now she is at school full-time I work 3 full days per week, then use 1 weekday to do prep/marking/assessment stuff. However, I to am expected to attend 50% of staff meetings even though they are not on my day.
    Be careful that you know exactly which sort of contract you are getting- jobshare or part time as there are pro's and con's to each. NASUWT sent me a good leaflet about contract stuff.

6. jacqablett

jacqablett New commenter

Good luck finding part time. I'm looking for september as my school is closing (middle school)but nothing so far, most secondary/high just don't seem interested in part time. Have applied for 3 jobs that i'm sure I would have been short-listed for if i was full time but nothing so far.
    Currently i work 2 half days, 2 full which works out as 0.51! No idea how its worked out in terms of lessons thats two thirds of a week. Hours are about right for me but i get stung for 4 full days child care. Also bear in mind that most creches etc charge you for the school holidays too unless you can find one only open term time.
    I dont go in on my day off for teacher training days etc but i do the full day even if i would have finished at lunch normally on other tt days. I feel i have to do the partents evenings as i'm english teacher but luckily none in calendar on day off.

good luck

7. I went back in August past when my ds was only 5 months old. I have two children close in age. There is 14 months between my children. Its hard work but im lucky cause my husband watches them both when i am at work. He altered his work pattern to suit. I work only 3 days but as one of the posts said, its enough to feel sufficiently involved. You are treated differently though and people do think that you have 'days off' which i remind them if they assume that, that it is my time off to spend with my children and unpaid. I refuse to spend that time working so tend to try and really limit the time i spend on planning etc. Its also true what the other post says. I find that sometimes children do act up because of the difference in teaching styles or the way you handle things in comparison. I do not have a job share partner and do think sometimes that it would be nice to build a relationship with someone instead of constantly having to contend with the way someone else works every year. I suppose then again, if you have a jobshare partner and you dont get on, then you are stuck with them!
    Goodluck with what you decide. Its still quite a lot of money to get for only 3 days!

8. YOY

YOY

That may well have been me! It works out that way for me because I'm in a support role paying well below a teacher's salary and the costs of full daycare for littly plus before/after school care for the big'un is not far off my day rate - the recent job evaluation improved the figures a bit but basically I make a profit on the first 2 days a week, a smaller profit for the next day and just about break even for any hours beyond that. I did argue very hard for getting paid an 8 hour day - not unfair, given that I average about 10 hours!
    It's well worth running the calculations for different combinations of earnings/childcare/tax etc to help you make an informed choice. I agreed to do the third day because it made much more sense from the school's perspective and wasn't a deal-breaker for me. 3 days isn't bad in terms of feeling involved in school combined with feeling like you have proper time off to be a mum.
    Be warned that part-time can end up meaning doing not far off as much work for lots less money so you need to be clear about what you are happy to do. I know a couple of part-time teaching mums who are very very strict about no work on their days off, and it works well for them. I'm not that fussed about doing stuff on 'my' days so long as it doesn't cost me loads or get in the way too much - so I occasionally have done a day extra with pay (so that I could pay for littly to have an extra day in nursery) because there was an urgent need, or arranged for freebie childcare for an hour or two for a meeting. The plus side is that I can get a bit of leeway in the other direction on occasion - although I haven't asked often, I know I can shuffle things around if I need to get away half an hour early and nobody will look on it as me skiving. I'm TRYING not to do too much extra as much though, as I'm part-time for a reason!

9. Just had to say that pt wasnt all it was cracked up to be for me either sadly. I ended up being pushed into doing PPA throughout the school three days per week (after firstly returning back to work pt as a sort of job share, very badly planned and organised!) Ive really hated it as I feel deskilled and undervalued. I am returning back full time in a new job in sept.
    I would advise to think carefully about the roles you will be doing, childcare costs and also how much work you end up doing on your 'days off!'
    Good luck with whatever you decide

10. I returned to work in March 2 days a week which worked out as 44% and going up to 3 days after the summer holidays which will be 66%. This has worked out reallly well for me 'cause it has given my son time to settle in to nursery before going to 3 days plus it means that I'm only paying for the 2 days over the summer holidays.