1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to normal.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 8, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I took it off in the park and then put it on when I went into a shop - most other people were doing the same.

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

As I do yes

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

France has brought in mask wearing in crowded public areas. Putting it on and off is not good as may touch the outside of the mask.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We know that it is transferred in coughs, sneezes and even in the droplets from speaking, singing or shouting. That maks it airbornes, surely?
    I wear a mask as soon as I exit the car and it doesn't come off until I get back in it. Even keeping 2 metres away from others as much as possible, I am still walking into the spce occupied by others a few seconds before and their potentially infected air droplets could still be hanging around.

For the same reason I don't put washing out to dry in my back garden. I either dry it indoors or put it on airers on my front decking. The front is the sunny side of the house and is more private.

5. red_observer

Sorry I don’t get the washing bit?

by Airborne I mean it’s not swirling around as much of a threat?

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The virus only survives for a very short time outside. Unless someone is standing next to your washing and coughing over it and then you're immediately putting it over your face and breathing in, there is no reason not to dry your washing outside. It's becoming ever clearer that outside is pretty safe. Inside but distanced and for short times is also pretty safe. Unventilated inside, crowded areas inside, and prolonged periods with other people inside appears to be were most of the hazard lies. There was even an expert on the radio the other day saying that surfaces are not really a hazard unless someone has just sneezed over them.

red_observer likes this.
  7. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

Sounds so foreign. Melbourne’s daily rate when up to 400-500 when the govt enacted a stage 4 lockdown from 8th July to 14th Sep complete with a nightly curfew, a signed work permit needed for essential workers, 1 hour per day exercise, only one person from each house allowed to shop for food, compulsory masks outside of your house or car and you cannot be further than 5km away from your home. Seems a bit of an overkill when I see Europeans on the news so relaxed but with much higher numbers.

8. red_observer

Good post and pretty much what I think!

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Even if an infected person coughs or sneezes there is this thing Isaac newton discovered a while ago called gravity. Hence the 2 metres is the supposed distance from the cougher/sneezer where the droplets are supposed to hit the floor. There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding what the mask is for.

red_observer likes this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Melbourne's rate of 400-500 daily new infections is for a population of 5 million. The population of the UK is 13.5 times larger, so our current daily rate of 876 infections would equate to only about 67 new infections a day in Melbourne - no cause for a national lockdown.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The studies that I've read suggest that, depending on the type of surface, the virus can remain active from a few hours to around 72 hours. Plastic surfaces seem to be worse at incubating the virus. My clothes line has plastic coated cords. Even if it only lasts an hour or so on fabric, if it's been contaminated I'd be removing a line full of laundry and disturbing the virus at face height. My back garden is in close proximity to 5 other gardens and three of those households use their back gardens a lot.
    My front garden is larger and more isolated, with an eight foot fence 50ft from the house (a road and no housing on the other side) and a 150ft long driveway. It's also sunnier. I'll therefore carry on drying clothes inside or on the front decking.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There's also a thing called windy conditions that can keep moist droplets airborne for longer than on a still day and help them to travel further than 2 metres.
    Tests in those infected meat-production warehouses found that the cold conditions and the fans in the building could propel the virus up to 26 feet.

13. red_observer

No more than 40 minutes I’ve read but I may be wrong.

14. Doitforfree

The virus doesn't survive long outside, and even less when the sun is shining. Traces may be found but that doesn't mean it's enough to infect you, or that it's still active. As soon as the virus is in the open air outside it is both sinking to the floor and quickly dispersing. You need quite a lot of viruses to be infected. You are not at risk in your garden and nor is your washing.

15. red_observer

I found the washing kind comment a bit hard to believed tbh

Rott Weiler likes this.
  16. Doitforfree

Those factories were inside, which is completely different. Outside, UV light quickly kills the virus, and air movement disperses it. The wind might blow some viruses your way, and you might manage to inhale a fraction of them, but you would have to be incredibly unlucky to inhale enough to be infected. But inside there is nowhere for the viruses to disperse to. Air conditioning dries the air which is thought to help the virus survive, as does the lower temperature. Viruses can hang around in the air for longer.

staffsunigirl likes this.
  17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Reasons to be cheerful:
    The sun is out
    I’m going to the Lakes for a family holiday on Friday
    I have a good group of friends and family who all get on
    Neither me nor any of my family and friends have caught Covid
    People where I live are very friendly and helpful
    I have an allotment
    I am healthy and have no health problems (that I know of!)

so, not all doom and gloom

18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Perhaps I have misunderstood something but I thought the reason for mask wearing was to stop the mask wearer potentially spreading the infection to others but the mask cannot prevent the wearer from catching the virus so in other words one wears the mask for the benefit of other people. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can explain this?

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I concur with this although I am not going to the lakes and I don't have an allotment.
    I would like to add to your list of positives in as much as they apply to my circumstances
    • fact that my local gym has now opened so I can put on my headphones and have a good work out in air conditioned splendour. I really missed the gym during deepest lockdown.
    • the infection rate in my corner of the South East continues to fall.
    • I can now pop into my local Tesco without having to queue.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Masks are most effective in stopping the wearer spreading any virus that they might have. However, masks do provide some protection to the wearer, evn if only by lessening a viral load being inhaled. If masks do not protect the wearer, why on earth is it so important for medical staff to wear them? Their masks, of course, are more effective than our non-medical versions but nonetheless a masks offers wearers a degree of protection.