1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to normal.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 8, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't think I will feel "really" normal again until I'm back in front of a full class.

I'm still not seeing many aircraft tracks in the sky yet either.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Stop feeling positive! It’s not allowed!

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nothing innocent when one of the clique posts.

ajrowing likes this.
  4. WB

WB Star commenter

I agree.

Surely you must agree that we're closer to normal than we were 4 months ago?

Anyway, in keeping with the theme of this thread yesterday I returned to my favourite country pub for the first time. It wasn't normal, but it was open and I was glad to put money in the till of a small business.

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

How lovely. A few minutes of normality. :)

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been supporting the businesses on my local high street as much as possible since this all started.

My wife and I were just chatting this morning and we were trying to think of the last time we had actually been shopping in the City Centre.

It was sometime in late February.

cassandramark2 and WB like this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My dentist has been offering appointments for three weeks now and the local theatre group is putting on some out door performances later in the month. I hope the weather stays fine for them and they get support.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Kind of you, but the intended theme of the thread had been well and truly **** upon within the first half dozen responses.

I give up!

9. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Aah, they’re just envious having a glimpse of your bucolic idyll @nomad

All I can hear is lawnmowers. In this heat? Bonkers.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Don't, you are right, nomadity is returning.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Poor old Quasimodo still hasn't got a home though has he? ;) is Bob Major related to John?

To be honest this "new normal" is pretty much the same as the "old normal" for me, apart from the mask wearing and the school run for the grandkids two or three times a week.

nomad likes this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

War, Death, Famine, Plague, and their work experience placement Misery Guts :)

13. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

That's lovely. I have really missed the church bells. I am near enough for them to be lovely background and far enough away for it not to be annoying! Hopefully they will start up again soon.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It was lovely. Sunny afternoon, gliders from the local club overhead, about a thousand starling in the hedgerows and church bells in the distance. All a bit 1950s Janet and John, but lovely all the same.

I used to be a newsreader for the local Talking News. The studio (courtesy of the local Rotary Club) was about 50 yards from the church. Then they changed their bell ringing practice times to Thursdays at 7pm - the same time we did our weekly recording! o_O

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I hate the phrase "the new normal" because it's implies that we'll all be waiting fearfully for the next pandemic. We won't, and we shouldn't be. Yes, the government should plan ahead, but ordinary people should (when the time is right) return to more or less the old normal in their everyday lives. Yes, maybe people will reflect usefully on their shopping habits, neighbourliness, etc, but normal life WILL return and we should be glad of it.

Jeremiahs take note. No epidemic lasts forever.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You must have been a leading light in the clique, racroesus. All the evidence points that way. Talk about protesting too much!

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Oh ye of little faith. Brilliant match.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We won.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My husband had a two-hour appointment yesterday for root canal work.
    :eek::eek::eek:

20. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

You're probably more at risk if you try to do 'normal' things outside the home than you were during the lockdown (local medics/scientific experts talking about the famous R rate).
    Yet so many people on social media are saying they're bored of staying at home, we've done it for long enough, so let's get back to normal. Others say that if we try to pretend that things are normal now, the lockdown was a complete waste of time and money.
    I'm not saying that any of you feel this way, Nomad! I'm just saying that in my area, we have lots of visitors from local towns that have been put back in 'local lockdowns'-they seem quite happy to walk next to others with no masks/distancing, while touching all sorts of things and pushing past others.